Pet Battles

#1 - Jan. 12, 2012, 2:43 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I have seen alot of people complaining about pet battles, with things such as DES PET BATLES R FUR CIDS and ITS TEH POKEMONS. So I think I will give my opinion on the subject.

I think it's a great idea. Yes it is essentially Pokemon with WoW pets but I fail to see how copying a series that is thoroughly enjoyable and that has achieved such massive success (215 million+ pokemon games sales) is a bad thing. A Pokemon MMO is something people have requested for a very long time and not only is Blizzard providing Pokemonesque gameplay it is included in a much larger overall game.

And then there is the obvious point that needs to be made, PET BATTLES ARE OPTIONAL. If you do not want to have pet battles, you are not required to have pet battles. From what I have seen pet battles seem to be completely optional and self contained, they do not affect any other area of gameplay, if you do not want to do it you can completely ignore it.

So please explain to me what the issue is with the completely optional yet likely to be highly enjoyable feature?
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#17 - Jan. 13, 2012, 8:04 p.m.
Blizzard Post
There are players who collect companions and enjoy it very much. This will provide them with some additional content to expand on what they enjoy the most. I am sure there will be many additional items added to the game. I see the pet battle system no different than the games at Darkmoon Fair, coming soon trial runs, or any other future enhancments.

Games get developed in their own unique way. This does not mean they are all the same. Just because WoW is an MMO does not mean all future MMOs are to be called WoW. They are not the same

A common type of feedback we get from players about Cataclysm is the observation that after they hit max level, they start to run out of things to do. Of course, this isn't a new problem or an uncommon one in MMOs, but it's definitely something that we think we can improve on. When the game was relatively new to most players, activities like leveling an alt or completing achievements could be all that were needed to entertain and satisfy. But there is a finite amount of entertainment to be gotten from leveling alts. So some players get a lot of joy from running dungeons, or raiding, or participating in organized PvP. Those activities aren't for everyone, but we will continue to add new dungeon/raid/PvP content to the game. We love playing that content ourselves.

Nonetheless, we have big plans to keep introducing completely new things for players to do. Pet battles, Scenarios, and dungeon Challenge Modes are all coming to World of Warcraft. And we want to rekindle the fires of existing features that haven't gotten much love for a while, such as reputation systems, daily quests, world bosses, and yes -- world PvP.

For those who see Pet Battles as a feature that holds little interest, no worries! Like many systems in the game, it's being designed to be optional. Our ultimate goal still remains: When you finish what you do every day or every week, be it raiding or battlegrounds or crafting and playing the auction house, if you want more WoW, there will be a lot of activities for you.