Community? Not in WoW.

#1 - Jan. 10, 2012, 8:05 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I've gone tired of the cross realm madness. Any community that previously existed can now be declared dead. Noone knows who anyone is on any servers anymore. PvP in its entirety and most instanced PvE content barring raids are now just littered with people you don't know that you are highly unlikely to ever meet again. Noone cares about the people they group with, it doesn't matter much how you behave because it's highly unlikely that you will have anything to do with them again. It's probably a couple of years since the last time I saw anyone speak more than two words in a five-man instance except for complaining about someone elses dps, unless it's a guild group. Basically, the main arenas where a community is maintained has disappeared.

Before, you could meet people from your own server, that are part of your own community. Making friends in the game was much more important back then. You'd get to know people outside of your immediate circle of guildies and real life friends, which you are still likely to deal with on a regular basis. Gone are the days when you actually had to communicate with people to find a group for a five man run.

While the looking for group system in its current incarnation is convenient, I think it's gone way overboard. Limiting it to one server should be more than enough. It should be much more interesting to group with people that you actually have a chance to bump into in Stormwind or Orgrimmar. People wouldn't bother with communiction with other servers outside of real life friends, sure enough, but there would be some communication within the server instead. Much more important, I think.

While it's everyone's own choice to use these features, the fact remains that people will nearly always choose conveniency over quality if the choice is there.

Removing the feature is probably totally out of the question, and probably not the best idea. But how about enhancing it with an optional cross realm search. If that gained some traction we might be able to revive some of the communities of old. Guilds would have a new reason to engage in 5-man content, because that's the best place to discover potential new members within your own server. Even while not actively recruiting, guild members would have an easier time discovering quality players for future reference. A few months later you're recruiting, and bump into this player remembering how he or she would make a great addition to the guild.

Maybe I'm just the jaded oldtimer remembering the good old days. It's been 7, going on 8 years now, playing this same good old Hunter. So, anyone with me on this? Am I wrong? Does people experience an enhanced community, or the same old one? Have I just fallen off the community cart, or do we need to go back a couple of steps?
Forum Avatar
Community
#20 - Jan. 11, 2012, 2:01 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Unfortunately, that opinion is very subjective. The continued popularity of the cross-realm LFD tool, and now the LFR, indicates that a great number of players are just fine with using it for quicker access, rather than attempting to group up with people on the same realm.

Also, implying that every group in LFD/LFR is filled with people you'd gladly never group up with again is exaggerating the actual situation. There are many of us who use the tools a lot, and rarely experience this.

Having said all that, the future BattleTag system will go a long way to improving the ability to build and maintain cross-realm friendships, eliminating the need to fill groups with as many 'randoms'.

why? because a longer queue time would most definitely be preferable to waiting 10-20 minutes for what can only be described as a brain meltingly bad time with a bunch of nuisance players who can do what they want and NEVER suffer any backlash from the servers community

an extra 10-15 minutes per queue for a community that can once again tell greedy and uncouth players to gt*o again? oh dear god yes! yes please!! where do i sign for this???
Forum Avatar
Community
#44 - Jan. 11, 2012, 3:09 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I find it immensely sad and more than a little ridiculous that you guys can't even admit that there is even the slightest downside to any of your cross-realm implementations. You're doing exactly what Caydiem used to do that drove me crazy back in her days - suggesting that we're wrong in feeling the way we are, rather than acknowledging that it is an actual downside to a system you're otherwise happy with.

Seriously, give us some credit here. We don't need to be told why we should like a system when some of us obviously don't.

On the contrary, I never said it's the perfect system, I was simply offering a different point of view. We're always looking for feedback and ways to improve our features. Player feedback regarding dungeon groups and long wait-times contributed to the development of the dungeon finder tool in the first place. Now, in response to new feedback, BattleTags will address some of the issues players currently face when meeting potential friends on different realms :)
Forum Avatar
Community
#77 - Jan. 11, 2012, 4:26 p.m.
Blizzard Post
11/01/2012 15:57Posted by Kanx
Unfortunately, that opinion is very subjective. The continued popularity of the cross-realm LFD tool, and now the LFR, indicates that a great number of players are just fine with using it for quicker access, rather than attempting to group up with people on the same realm.

While true it doesn't mean that all of these people are enjoying it though :(

It might just be the nostalgia, but apart from time involved with setting up a group from trade-chat/general in order to venture in to Scholomance, the experience once it was in progress/completed was awesome. This is something that newer players won't experience and i can't really blame them for not trying. It wouldn't hurt to add an incentive that much would it? (perhaps a Satchel of Exotic Mysteries for each player).

A good community breathes longevity into this game in my opinion (and from experience).

No, unfortunately some people don't always enjoy the groups they find themselves in through the Dungeon Finder. But do you believe limiting the pool of players to your own realm, or offering an incentive to manually search for your own group will solve this?

Finishing a dungeon with a great group before the Dungeon Finder tool was available was indeed a fantastic experience, but I personally still get that feeling now when I'm grouped with a nice bunch of people.

We're not dismissing your thoughts here by the way, please continue the discussion :)