Cut down on the spoonfed storytelling in MoP.

#1 - Jan. 4, 2012, 5:44 p.m.
Blizzard Post
One of the things I would love to see in MoP is less of a spoonfeeding of a linear story as we have seen in Cata.

It all feels a bit console gamey. The new heroics are particularly bad. Fun experiences the first time, but it's all rather "Culling of Stratholme RP bit" after the first couple of times. I want to claw my eardrums out every time I hear the first boss in the third dungeon talk about Thrall the "shaaaaaaaaman". Unfortunately all this story has been added into these dungeons to disguise the fact that there's only 5 minutes worth of content in each, stretching them out to 20.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#7 - Jan. 4, 2012, 6:37 p.m.
Blizzard Post
We're always open to constructive feedback as long as it stays constructive. There are a few different types of thoughts from the community on these things that I've heard via podcasts or read on fansites and the forums here.

First, we've gotten lots of feedback through the years that it's difficult to learn the story of World of Warcraft. Many players have expressed that they have concerns over too much story having to be found outside the game and not enough in the game, or even not being led to the story in the game and thus missing it. Obviously, this is something we've been trying to correct where we can and trying to find a balance between the two. We're aware that Azeroth's history and story is pretty vast and with each new expansion, we're given the opportunity to expand on it even more.

Second, we've heard (as you've stated) that once through, it's not as fun the second time. We've obviously experienced this as well in the past via Culling of Stratholme. As you saw there, we did eventually make it possible to skip this portion of the event, but there are risks involved with that too. For newer players or those that aren't on the front edge of progression, this can cause them to miss out on being able to see this story unless they're with people who are willing to let it play out so they can experience it.

That said, I can't say that we'll do the same for the current dungeons (allowing the "skip"), but I can say that we'll continue to take constructive feedback on these aspects of the game as often as we can. We want to make sure we're giving the story that people want, while still making sure it's as fun as possible to be a part of it.

As for Mists of Pandaria and the storyline there, we definitely want to continue down the path of offering up story where we can. We feel that this can only enhance the experience of the game. We're not unaware though of the concerns on both sides of the fence.