Leveling in Cataclysm

#0 - July 21, 2010, 1:16 a.m.
Blizzard Post
I was thinking the other day, with the old world changing etc...
And all the lvl80+ ppl running around there when cata is out.
How does this affect low lvl questing in these areas?
or the quests for lvl80+ are in different zones to the lower lvl quests?

because lower lvl alts are just gonna get owned by lvl80+ especially if your on a pvp server!
#1 - July 21, 2010, 1:53 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
I was thinking the other day, with the old world changing etc...
And all the lvl80+ ppl running around there when cata is out.
How does this affect low lvl questing in these areas?
or the quests for lvl80+ are in different zones to the lower lvl quests?

While the face of Azeroth will be forever changed by the Cataclysm, one thing that will remain the same is the practice of having ideal level ranges for each zone. Level 80 to 85 characters won't suddenly start leveling in zones like Stranglethorn Vale, Eastern Plaguelands, or Loch Modan alongside lower level characters. Instead, they will spend their time advancing their characters in new zones like Hyjal, Vashj'ir, and Twilight Highlands, which are all specifically designed for those higher level ranges.

You can learn a bit about some of the new high level zones in Cataclysm by taking a peek at our preview pages:

And be sure to poke around the rest of the site, too: http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/cataclysm/ :)
#15 - July 21, 2010, 6:12 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
just curious, but does those new areas the only 80-85 zones.... if not, how are we gonna know which ones are for 80+?

just hope we see the "ZOMG YOU'RE THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN DELIVER THIS MESSAGE!!!!" quest?

Our quest designers have gone to great lengths to ensure that characters in Cataclysm will be guided to the appropriate zones. Whenever a character reaches the right level for a specific zone, certain lead-in quests will become available directing the character to the next area. Characters will typically receive lead-in quests for zones in the next level range while playing through zones in their current level range, or when visiting major cities like Orgrimmar and Stormwind.

While this won't prevent lower level characters from accidentally stumbling into higher level zones through exploration, it will help guide characters to the best locations to continue their leveling experience. And it's not like level 20 characters will be receiving lead-in quests for Hyjal or Twilight Highlands or anything. :)
#22 - July 21, 2010, 7:45 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
While we're discussing low level areas will the old flight paths be swapped for new ones? I have a lvl 41 warlock, will he have to go back to the old zones and pick up all the flight paths again?

While a number of flight points in Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms will remain unchanged, some existing flight points will be removed and new ones will be added. Right now in beta, players seeking to utilize the new flight points will need to learn them individually.

Q u o t e:
Can we just level via the dungeon finder? Quest grinding to level kinda sucks. I don't care about shiny new environments if I'm packed into them like sardines along with half the server competing for quest mobs. :P

Of course! You're more than welcome to level your character(s) via the Dungeon Finder if that's your preferred play style. You'll be missing out on a lot of great new content, though, should you choose to bypass all the revamped zones completely. Maybe once things settle down a bit you'll have a chance to check out the new leveling experience?
#67 - July 22, 2010, 4:27 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
But i still have to discover all those old instances with a new char first?
Q u o t e:
Really, Lylirra ?

Really, really.

Currently, come Cataclysm, in order for a character to gain access to the majority of dungeons through the Dungeon Finder, that character will need to first discover them via normal travel. While this may seem like an arduous task at first glance, keep in mind that there will still be numerous ways for low level characters to traverse long distances—namely zeppelins, boats, and taxis, as well as mounts for characters level 20 and up.

There are certain dungeons, however, that are not currently planned to require exploration before becoming available. These dungeons are either low level or notably difficult to travel to for one or both factions (for example, Ragefire Chasm and Stockades).

Q u o t e:
On a similar note, will my being a loremaster (and thus having done the vast majority of quests in WoW) preclude me from doing Cata quests in lowbie zones? In other words, if SM got a new dungeon chain, would my having done the old version prevent me from doing the new version?

It shouldn't, no. I touched upon this a bit further in another thread:
Q u o t e:
The current goal is to allow all players, regardless of their level or completed quest log, to have the opportunity to not only experience, but play an active role in the unfolding story line of post-Cataclysm Azeroth. While there may be some minor tweaks to the UI come the expansion, we have no intention to bar higher level characters from accessing lower level content at this time and low-level questing will likely feel and function more or less as it does right now for level 80 characters playing through old world content. :)

Link: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=25626460845&pageNo=1&sid=1#4
#69 - July 22, 2010, 4:45 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
What will happen exactly with the new zones when it comes to loading them?

I mean, when you enter Hyjal or Twilight Highlands for example, will we have to deal with loading screens everytime just like Azuremyst Isle & Ghostlands? That was your own way to stop people who didn't have Burning Crusade to enter them, but will it be the same for Cataclysm's new zones? Because that would be a lot of loading screens to deal with because all the new zones are separated and next to old ones instead of being on a new continent like Outland & Northrend!

New level 80 to 85 zones like Hyjal, Vashj'r, and Twilight Highlands should not prompt players with a loading screen if they are coming from another zone on the same continent. If zoning in from another continent or instance, though, then the standard loading screen will appear.
#82 - July 22, 2010, 6:01 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Question: Outlands required BC to get to, right? Wrath of the Lich King didn't, right? If these new zones won't prompt you with loading screens, then you don't need the x-pack to get to them, right or wrong?

Since Hyjal, Vashj'ir, and similar new high level zones are not on their own unique continent like Outland, players will not be presented with a loading screen unless traveling cross-continent or from an instance (or porting in by way of Hearthstone, for example). They will still need to have World of Warcraft: Cataclysm in order to access these zones, however, as we will be using a form of phasing technology to limit access to players without the expansion enabled.

Revamped old world zones like the Barrens, Westfall, Blasted Lands, and Silithus (et al) will remain available to all players.

Q u o t e:
Any plans to reintegrate Quel'thalas and the Azuremyst Isles into their respective geographical continents?

Not at this time.