Do you remember what Guilds were for?

#0 - July 16, 2010, 7:33 a.m.
Blizzard Post
I am an old school mmorpg'er. I've played since Ultima Online, and was a hardcore EverCrack Head.

"Way back in the day..."

Guilds used to mean something. You would rely on your guild for everything from dungeons and grouping, and being part of a guild was a prestigious thing.

It was hard to make a guild, and then when you left one it was hard to join another one. People used to have to apply for guilds, and they would take weeks to join because you needed to fit right.

Nowadays joining a guild is little more than joining a group. You can switch guilds faster than some LFD queues and this is part of the disposable nature of WoW players.

I think there should at least be a cool down period between leaving and joining a guild.
At least a week.

Make people realize that guilds are important. They should be built upon and made into something and being in a guild should be prestigious.

For those of you crying about GearScore and Pugging, Then this is the point of a Guild! A group of players you rely on for everything!

I hope with the new changes to guilds in cata, that people go back to forming communities on their servers, and guilds start meaning something again.
#44 - July 16, 2010, 3:31 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
I am an old school mmorpg'er. I've played since Ultima Online, and was a hardcore EverCrack Head.

"Way back in the day..."

Guilds used to mean something. You would rely on your guild for everything from dungeons and grouping, and being part of a guild was a prestigious thing.

It was hard to make a guild, and then when you left one it was hard to join another one. People used to have to apply for guilds, and they would take weeks to join because you needed to fit right.

Nowadays joining a guild is little more than joining a group. You can switch guilds faster than some LFD queues and this is part of the disposable nature of WoW players.

I think there should at least be a cool down period between leaving and joining a guild.
At least a week.

Make people realize that guilds are important. They should be built upon and made into something and being in a guild should be prestigious.

For those of you crying about GearScore and Pugging, Then this is the point of a Guild! A group of players you rely on for everything!

I hope with the new changes to guilds in cata, that people go back to forming communities on their servers, and guilds start meaning something again.

What are your thoughts on the guild advancement/achievement systems that are being worked on?
#51 - July 16, 2010, 3:52 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

I thought guilds stayed together because the content didn't take two weeks to down.

And what does this have to do with the new systems? What does this have to do with what people are discussing like incentives to stay in a guild or cooldowns for leaving? ...
#57 - July 16, 2010, 3:59 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Are there any changes that you're willing to share about guild management changes at all other than the leveling system?

There is nothing to share at this time. I know there are ideas going around and some changes planned but we are focusing on the achievement/advancement systems and not so much on guild management. Are you saying that the difficulties of guild management make it so people guild hop more often or don't want to be in a guild?
#68 - July 16, 2010, 4:09 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

I just looked on the wow website, and the catclysm forums and on google could find no info about the guild advancement system, making it hard to have an opinion.

Except for the opinion that it might be a good idea to add a guild comment forum to the beta forums. :)

Numerous media sites covered it when they visited us in mid-June. The shortest explanation is that doing things like killing bosses will "level up" the guild and provide benefits to the people in the guild. People who are new to the guild are limited in which benefits they get and they need to be a part of the guild and do things to earn the higher benefits.

There are also going to be achievements to earn as a guild.