Replenishment and Cataclysm.

#0 - Nov. 3, 2009, 2:50 a.m.
Blizzard Post
The more I think about it, the more I think Replenishment should just be removed from the game.

Early LK, it caused (and still do) a lot of issues between groups who had someone who could do it, and a raid without. This was espcially noticiable on 10 man.

So they tried the "spread the love" tactic. Hunters took it for a few weeks, but I rarely see any Hunter nowadays who want to pick it up, for DPS reasons. Frost Mages aren't PvE viable, and Locks... yeah, I've yet to see one give me Replenishment. The only specs who bring Replenishment nowadays, are the same two specs who did at the begining of LK. Seems like this strategy failed.

Throughout LK, mana regen was "nerfed" a few times, as they wanted healing to be less spammy, while making more dangerous fights for tanks, where the risk of one dying in 0.5sec was present during all the encounter, and more fights with insane raid damage.

So they gave up on the "let's nerf" mana regen, and just allowed healers to not worry about mana. Ever. Let's not talk about the 0.25% nerf to Replenishment, there's barely any difference.

I know it's "old" and has been discussed a lot... but could we just get rid of it for Cataclysm, and make sure healers are able to heal, without spamming all the time, and do it without having to rely on someone else to bring it? It's still doesn't make sense to me, it's as if they were expecting tanks to rely on a Hunter / Rogue's Tricks to do their job.
#12 - Nov. 3, 2009, 10:02 p.m.
Blizzard Post
We still like Replenishment. There are only so many ways a class can buff a group's damage or stats, so boosting regen is a distinct buff that is brought by a sufficiently large number of classes. It's really nice to have Replenishment, but with mana regen from gear and talents being what they are now, you can certainly run without it.

We don't plan on cutting Replenishment for Cataclysm. However, since Spirit largely becomes a stat that only healers care about, one of two things will likely happen: you bring Replenishment just for the healers, or Replenishment changes to affect both Spirit and non-Spirit based regen, but affects Spirit more.

Replenishment seems to offend some healers who don't want to feel reliant on other classes. But we have explicitly designed WoW's endgame content to be largely group-based, and synergies like this are a part of that. Tanks have to depend on priests for stamina buffs and hunters and rogues for threat buffs. At a higher level, all dps have to rely on dps buffs to do their job.