Blizz, Y U NO stop to make me change my pw?

#1 - Nov. 10, 2011, 4:19 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Okay, due my job, I'm constantly traveling to USA and sometimes Portugal and Japan. I live in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and, of course, I have WoW in my laptop.

So I connect from different places every month, so Blizz make me to change my password due this suspicious activity.

Alright, I understand, this is for the safety of my account, I GET THIS.

So I decided to get an authenticator, so whenever I connect from those places, it will request the six digit code and the system will know that is not a hack or something. But even with the authenticator I got the message saying my account is blocked almost every month. And I have to change my password.

If I have to constantly change my password, what's the point of an authenticator?

Thank you anyway and sorry for my bad english.
Forum Avatar
Support Forum Agent
#19 - Nov. 10, 2011, 5:26 p.m.
Blizzard Post
The authenticator and password challenge are two separate systems.

Both are designed to help protect your account. At this time, there is no opt out, and just having an authenticator will not stop the password challenge if the system senses enough of a change to suspect it may not be you trying to access your account.
Forum Avatar
Support Forum Agent
#25 - Nov. 10, 2011, 5:58 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Sooo,,,, the authenticator was nothing more than a "Sugar Pill" to give us players a false sense of security? And to give Blizz another revenue stream?

Good to know

Not at all, but nothing is ever 100% if it's hooked up to the internet and we've never claimed otherwise.

I'm also quite confused how you think something we provide at cost, or even at a loss could be considered a revenue stream, but you're entitled to your opinion no matter how incorrect it is.
Forum Avatar
Support Forum Agent
#43 - Nov. 10, 2011, 6:16 p.m.
Blizzard Post
This is incorrect.. There are Three challenges..

Password.

Location.

Authenticator.

I'm terribly sorry, did the OP say anything about password? I do believe the original discussion was why they are getting password challenged if they have an authenticator.

While most players think this will never happen to them ---- till it does, over the years we've seen just how devious and deceptive, not to mention voracious, these thieves are. I've seen many comment that 'it's just a game', but to the people that would steal your account it's a multi-Billion (yes, that's a B) dollar a year industry.

There may come a day that what you are requesting is possible, but it's not today. Our security folks are constantly refining and improving our systems to not only make them safer for our players - but as unobtrusive as possible wherever they can.