Apparently Spellsteal has a cooldown

#1 - Nov. 9, 2011, 9 p.m.
Blizzard Post
"Dispels are just too frequent. They are supposed to be decisions, but they aren't. We don't think the answer is to give everyone dispel protection. We think the answer is to make dispels harder. In 5.0 we want dispels to have a cooldown and duration more like Spellsteal but get all buffs or debuffs at once to make them more tactical -- you can dispel Avenging Wrath if you really want to, but then you won't have it if the paladin uses Freedom immediately after. "

Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#19 - Nov. 10, 2011, 1:26 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Ghostcrawler would like to clarify. I'd like to think he did a /facepalm when he saw this thread. :)

I said “Spellsteal” and I meant “Counterspell.” Duh. They are like TOTALLY different. We would like all dispels to be in the 20 sec cooldown and 10 sec duration range. Some variation among that is fine. Dispels with very short cooldowns aren’t decisions and completely neuter classes with a lot of magical mechanics.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#27 - Nov. 10, 2011, 1:58 a.m.
Blizzard Post
11/09/2011 05:28 PMPosted by Bawlololin
Furthermore (and this may be in the new plan for dispels and interesting information) how would a dispel have a duration?

The duration in this context is the school lockout. “…preventing any spell from that school of magic from being cast for 10 sec.”
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#38 - Nov. 10, 2011, 2:15 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Clarification from Celestalon:

Wow, confusion galore here. Sorry about that. Let me try to clarify, without making things worse.

Interrupts:
We want interrupting to feel more meaningful, for both the interrupter and the target. Interrupts should be rarer, but when you do get interrupted, you should know that you have a significant period of time where you can cast without fear of being interrupted again. We're still expecting to have a noticeable variance in the interrupts for different classes though, so that they can keep the sort of identity they're used to (rogues locking out for the largest percentage of time, shaman recasting the most frequently, etc). We're expecting to have most cooldowns in the 15- to 25-sec range, and most lockout durations in the 3- to 6-sec range. There may be a few outliers from there, but not many, and not by much.

Dispels:
Similar to with Interrupts, we also want Dispels to be more meaningful, also for both the dispeller and the target, and to be rarer, but stronger, so that when you do get dispelled, you know that you have a period of time where you know your spells won't be dispelled again. Dispels, both offensive and defensive, will have a short cooldown, and will dispel all dispellable effects. We're still evaluating what cooldown feels right for these, and they may vary a bit, but we're currently thinking of possibly up to a 10-sec cooldown.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#43 - Nov. 10, 2011, 2:20 a.m.
Blizzard Post
11/09/2011 06:17 PMPosted by Dolofane
Well that's good... now they can wipe out every single one of my dots every 10 seconds.

And then you find your Fear button. :)
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#50 - Nov. 10, 2011, 2:25 a.m.
Blizzard Post
11/09/2011 06:22 PMPosted by Dolofane
What if it gets interrupted? Then I sad panda....

Nah. Warlocks can't be pandas. :D
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#53 - Nov. 10, 2011, 2:26 a.m.
Blizzard Post
11/09/2011 06:25 PMPosted by Tyrazsun

Nah. Warlocks can't be pandas. :D

OWNED.

<3

BOO!
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#140 - Nov. 10, 2011, 7:46 p.m.
Blizzard Post
11/09/2011 06:33 PMPosted by Ray
And then you find your Fear button. :)

8-second pvp duration with diminishing returns.

And also, what about Spellsteal? Just raise the mana cost? Why is one class so front-loaded with such obviously amazing pvp skills, and perpetually buffed?

And why is that question NEVER answered? I swear Zarhym, you'll stop reading this thread now that this question has been asked (most likely under pain of death from GC himself).

Spellsteal will likely count as a dispel in this model and will have a cooldown. However, it's likely to be the longest cooldown of the dispels, to offset its spell stealing mechanic. And, it's likely to dispel all applicable effects from the target, but only give the mage one of them. That's definitely not set in stone, by any stretch, and we'd love feedback on that.

What's that, GC? But I didn't... I was only trying to... OH GOD.