Healing model wont work with out fixed pools

#0 - July 5, 2010, 9:19 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Eventually as mana pools and regen and mana regen buffs increase we will be back to the fast inefficient heals and spam fest will continue. You have already mentioned that you expect us to decide on spells to cast based on situation but never not be idol.

Given this why make all these changes for a tier of gear or 2? Eventually gear will catch up and unless you add more inefficient harder hitting spells we will cap out and be focused on HPM again.

Can you explain how you expect the classes to be different and how we will not reach this plateau that inefficient spells will just be spammed again? I do not see how it can be helped unless you do not plan for us to use the inefficient ones at all for a couple tiers of gear.

#6 - July 5, 2010, 8:26 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Prior to LK, healers could run out of mana, and for the most part it worked. They didn't just use their efficient heals, because sometimes their group would die if they did. They didn't just use their big heals though, because they'd run out of mana (and then the group would die).

I think of healing like a cross-continental road race. If you go too slow, you'll lose the race, but if you just floor it the whole time, you'll run out of fuel a lot and waste time stopping to fill it up again. There is a happy medium somewhere in between. However the encounter specifics push you out of that medium, sometimes asking you to choose big numbers over efficiency and sometimes vice-versa.

I know it sounds like we are picking on healers all the time, but once you can run out of mana again, I think everything will just feel better, your choices about what spell to cast next become more compelling, and the healing game overall will be more engaging.