Pandaren not understanding Pandaren

#1 - Oct. 26, 2011, 2:17 a.m.
Blizzard Post
So I heard a few interviews and read some posts and it seems pandaren from horde own't understand pandaren from alliance. As an RPer and Lore nerd, this makes no sense. Even using common sense, two pandaren that had differeing outlooks on life, but grew up together NOW don't understand eachother.

The basis of this is the language barrier that is seemingly necesary to prevent what? Player to player harrassment? In PvP it is well known that immature players will roll an alt simply to shout abuse. They get reported anyway and dealt with, so that can't be it. Is it just a relic of World of Wacraft's past? Blood elves understand common, as do trolls according to current canon Lore. And Night Elves understood orcs and humans in W3 which makes no reasonable sense.
And now nobody understands anybody and the game is going so far as to be an internal Tower of Babylon!

So, why not take the next step. Remove that language barrier. PRomote community, even if it's a rivalry! Why not PROMOTE that competition of Horde v Alliance with the players? As it stands, you attack them and you cannot talk.
If you enjoy playing against someone in world PvP for example, you need to roll an alt, go and find them ask for a Battle.net account and even then, you can't participate in general channels like Say and Yell. Some peopel go so far as to use a third party program in order to be social with players of the opposing team in a social game. MMO= Massively Multiplayer Online. RPG = Roleplaying Game. It's hard enough as an RPer to sit through Bur los danas over and over again at a server event, y'know?

I propose this for 5.0: Remove the barrier. Break down that oppressive Fourth Wall.
The language barrier is a relic of the past. It's a hassle, and it breaks the Lore, all by itself.

So please, take my suggestion into consideration and remove the language barrier. Or, perhaps add a language that cvan be used by all races regardless of faction instead of changing current languages. Allowing humans to speak common and orcs to speak orcish and then having a third general language for all races to smack talk, RP, cross faction trade, and more in.

The social aspect of the game will become MUCH more appealing, believe you me.

(Seriously though, My Forsaken doesn't understand common? Even though the Scourge and Forsaken that have defected can talk to alliance NPCs? Why not just teach everyone the NPC language and pretend it never happened? :L)
Forum Avatar
Community
#24 - Oct. 26, 2011, 11:55 a.m.
Blizzard Post
We are absolutely thrilled about adding a race that can be played by both factions, but we are of course aware of the paradox behind pandaren of one faction not being able to communicate with pandaren of the opposite faction. This is a particular situation where we feel that the story must yield to gameplay, because it is our opinion that limited cross-faction communication is a vital part of the World of Warcraft experience, which we feel is not something that should change with the introduction of a neutral or cross-cross faction race.