Shaman intended to tank in Cata?

#0 - July 1, 2010, 12:57 a.m.
Blizzard Post
I posted this in the shaman forum but thought it would gain more discussion here.
According to MMO champion Shamans now have a taunt via rockbiter weapon

http://db.mmo-champion.com/s/8017/

Rockbiter Weapon
8% of base mana
Instant cast
Requires Melee Weapon
Imbue the Shaman's weapon with the fury of the earth, increasing all threat generation by 30% and reducing damage taken by 5%. Lasts 30 minutes.

This could prove interesting.
#5 - July 1, 2010, 1:52 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Shaman won't be a tanking class. The Rockbiter effect is for very situational uses, such as say an Enhancement shaman who wants to try and rescue a healer in a 5-player dungeon who has aggro.
#128 - July 5, 2010, 8:54 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
What a dumb change. Now you are asking this class just sit there and wait for a mistake pull or a tank slip up and expect them to swap weapons/imbues and rush to the healer and save the day? Man as if i dont get enough complaints on my shammy about what totems to drop and when to use BL now i am going to get @@%!*ed at for not saving the healer after a bad pull.

Either you make this class tank or not. Dont give them half ass abilities and make thier already loaded skill bars bogged down with 'situational abilities'.

Avoiding a wipe is the responsibility of everyone in the group. If you don't think you'll use the ability, don't use it. Simple as that. You don't even have to spend talent points to get it.

Hunters and warlocks have pets that are designed to tank. That doesn't mean they are a tanking class. Shaman will tank on rare occasions, just as warlocks and hunters are sometimes called upon to tank. That doesn't mean they will be able to choose the tank role in Dungeon Finder or will be very effective trying to be the MT for a group. As far as tanking classes go, there are four: warrior, paladin, druid and death knight.