New Character Models

#1 - Aug. 27, 2011, 5:07 p.m.
Blizzard Post
...I'll quit if the option to use one isn't done in the New Expansion. They are such a small percentage of the art that goes on with this game. They have such a large impact on what changes in this game and are well worth the investment. It's ridiculous that Blizzard is still waffling on what they are going to do on this decision.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#15 - Aug. 29, 2011, 7:14 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Updating existing character models isn't something we've been "waffling on." It's something we'd love to do, but the fact is the art team has finite resources. Updating the current playable race models to be more in-line with worgen and goblins requires much more than just increasing the poly count. There are more bone structures on the frames of newer models which allow for more animation options. In order to update older models, the wire frames have to change, which means a large number of existing animations and customizations/hairstyles would have to change.

It's much more of a massive overhaul than many players are anticipating. That isn't to say we don't want to do it, but it's difficult to justify delaying the creation of new art, models, and animations indefinitely to revamp old ones. And we have to make sure to do it in a way that doesn't give some players a feeling of detachment from the look they've had for almost seven years.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#37 - Aug. 29, 2011, 7:45 p.m.
Blizzard Post
You make it sound like it can't be done in a few months. It's been almost 7 years now. Some games have already done entire graphics engine overhauls in much less time while pushing out content.

Hire me. I'll gladly do your character remodels for you, while "keeping the same feel".

Awesome! We look forward to hearing from you. :)

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/careers/directory.html