Role of Disc priest???? Is there one?

#0 - Feb. 24, 2010, 4:53 a.m.
Blizzard Post
I have been reading the forums and found out that priest sometimes have very low healz per second and that they are single target raid healers.

Does that make holy pallys and shamans(sometimes) the only availiable classes for tank healz?

Disc are also single target healers but thanks to the holy pally beacon, we can also heal the dps since we dont even have to heal the tank directly.

I have also read that priest are just shielding bots.
I find this pretty true.
In saurfang in icc, thats pretty much all they do! Its really helpful though.

But what else can a disc priest do when they cant tank heal as well as pallies and holy pallies are picking up their single target raid healing!

Is disc just good for pvp??

SO! In the end I personally think that the MAIN role of a disc priest to just to act like a shielding bot...

IF you disagree plz comment but make sure you have facts to back up your claim
#16 - Feb. 24, 2010, 9:08 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Discipline priests specialize in single-target heals and damage prevention. They are nonetheless fairly well rounded and have some fun tools, such as Power Infusion and Pain Suppression.

They are awesome and in some cases borderline overpowered. :)
#79 - Feb. 24, 2010, 10:55 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Please take the WHOLE phrase into account before you guffaw. GC isn't saying "Discipline priests specialize in single-target heals... of and also they do damage prevention" He is saying they specialize in healing and preventing damage, target by target, as compared to holy priests who have more multi-target heals available to them.

He is saying disc priests specialize in "single target" "heals and damage prevention" (examples of each being penance (single target heal), Flash heal (single target heal), PW:S (single target damage prevention) and Divine Aegis (single target damage prevention proced by a single target heal).

Yep. Perhaps I should have said "single-target HEALING" since unglyphed PW:S isn't technically a heal. But any Disc priest who is trying to heal multiple people at once is probably doing it wrong. You can raid heal effectively by targeting one person at a time, and that's what Disc priests do. Shaman and Holy priests can heal several people simultaneously.
#124 - Feb. 25, 2010, 5:47 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
First, I've done EVERY fight this expansion as Discipline, and believe I have yet to do one where I haven't been(most of the way through ICC heroic now). I love what the spec is, and it definitely has a defined point in a raid. However, I question how this evolved from the original design intent of the tree itself. Not going to bring up the tired quote you said in beta of WotLK as it's certainly a different game than it was, but do you see that there's really only one effective MT healer in a Holy Paladin as sort of a problem with the healing game as it is currently? A fight like heroic Saurfang, for example, I simply cannot see being done with less than 3 holy paladins, simply because of how strong Beacon is. Beacon is a neat little idea, that has made it so paladins excel at any fight where 2 people take strong, heavy damage at the same time.

Gratz!

Yeah, as I said in another thread just now, I think the paladin is an outlier. It's okay for healers to have things they are slightly better at or slightly worse at, but the paladin is too firmly cemented into the role of MT healer. We don't want building a raid to be "Okay, grab a paladin and another healer." It should be "Grab 2 healers, preferably different ones." This doesn't mean paladin nerfs are incoming, because some of the problem is the nature of healing right now (huge constant swings, unlimited mana, much spamming, little coordination), and the other half of that is making sure a paladin on raid heal duty didn't feel gimped.