Looting - bugged?

#0 - May 5, 2010, 8:48 p.m.
Blizzard Post
A quote from Blizzard (http://eu.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_GB&articleId=43810):

---
In order for a player to loot an item, he or she must contribute to the corresponding kill or be a part of the group responsible for it.
---

We all know this isn't true. If another character damages a mob first, and we are not grouped with that mob, we cannot loot the corpse even if we're level 80 and kill the mob in one hit while the puny level 10 who pulled the mob barely scratched it before it died.

But there's another annoying feature of this too. If as a shaman you summon spirit wolves or drop a damaging totem and do not personally generate any of the damage that killed the mob, you cannot loot it. Same with Druids summoning their pet treants. And many others I'm sure.

I don't want to be complaining, but I do find it irritating as two of my three high level characters are shamans. However the key point is that this contradicts what Blizzard themselves say. If dropping a magma totem or summoning spirit wolves isn't contributing to a kill, what is it?

#1 - May 5, 2010, 9:20 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
In order for a player to loot an item, he or she must contribute to the corresponding kill or be a part of the group responsible for it.
Q u o t e:
We all know this isn't true. If another character damages a mob first, and we are not grouped with that mob, we cannot loot the corpse even if we're level 80 and kill the mob in one hit while the puny level 10 who pulled the mob barely scratched it before it died.
As you can see that's entirely intended.
Q u o t e:
If dropping a magma totem or summoning spirit wolves isn't contributing to a kill, what is it?
Q u o t e:
In order for a player to loot an item, he or she must contribute to the corresponding kill
Ok, it is semantics, but for you to be eligible for loot, you personally must cause damage to the mob. Shaman wolves/totems, hunter pets and warlock minions are not considered player characters and are considered to be their own entity (they generate threat separately to their master). That too is intended to be that way.

You're free to suggest a change to the workings of this in the suggestions forums, but as it stands the current behaviour is in-line with our design methods.