Transmogrify and Void Storage Requests

#1 - Aug. 18, 2011, 2:10 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Edit: Hey everybody, since this post got a blue response, try to keep it on topic. Instead of asking questions about the feature, use this post to explore what you would like the feature to encompass. What request do you have of the upcoming Transmogrification and Void Storage?

Original Post:
Please reconsider the ability for Void Storage to retain gems and enchants on items. As you yourselves mentioned this new feature encourages the retaining of gear for various reasons and I feel that gems and enchants are integral to the flavor of an item. It shows that a character either got the item when it was current content and used it, or at least cared enough to go out and gather the authentic materials necessary.

Secondly, consider changing the ability of Transmogrification from altering the appearance of a piece of gear to a slot. Right now we would be paying a fee for each new piece of armor we get. This is in addition to reforging, gems, and enchants we already have to pay. Personally I find it a hassle to have to do the current 3 things to each piece price aside, but having to pay to match is a killer. Also, while we may be using this to bridge the gap between sets, once the new set is acquired we would have to transmogrify every piece again. Although I don't have a solution to this problem currently.

Thirdly, currently you cannot change an item from one armor type to another. However, many items are ambiguous in their armor type from their model. In addition, many classes wore different armor types up until level 40. Please consider tweaking your stance on this issue. For many characters who RP wearing a hood instead of a helmet or wearing mail instead of plate could greatly enhance their playing experience.

Thank you for your time.

P.S. Feel free to combine this with any other thread. There were too many to know where this might fit in as most were questions on the feature or discussion on what items people would want to use.

Additional Requests:
Bows, crossbows and guns will be able to be mogged and they don't even share the same animation. Request: allow 1h axes, maces, and swords to mog regardless of type because of the lack of any talents or abilities that are based upon the weapon type and the shared attack animations.

Allow for the creation of "suits" or "costumes" similarly to the creation of equipment sets with the current equipment manager. It could work something like this: once the items are assembled for a set, we'll use the example of 8 pieces of tier 2, then those 8 pieces collectively are mogged into the current set of equipped gear. Allow the 8 pieces to be saved as a "costume" so that when you acquire a new set of gear you can go to the mogger and pay to have the previously assembled costume applied to the new gear all at once for the appropriate price. This way, even if I want to pay the fee every time, I can switch between saved "costumes" in one click without having to put each item into the mogger individually. This could also allow the mogging to take place without changing the status of the gear (which could then remain in the bank or void storage).
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#4 - Aug. 18, 2011, 2:37 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Part of this is due to technical limitations. One of the reasons we're able to offer so many more slots of storage to players now is because it's fairly simple data storage when we're talking item IDs. Throw in enchants, gems, and reforging though, and you have a lot more data that has to be stored. Void Storage is a means of deep storage. We don't want this system to be used as a secondary bank where you're constantly shuffling items in and out. If you have an abundance of items which are eligible for placing in Void Storage, the idea is you can store them "long-term" to free up bank space without having to delete them.

It's perfect for seasonal outfits, items you think look really cool, etc. It's the place to put the gear you just don't want to delete, but don't regularly use either. If we just gave you 80 more bank slots -- which is a monumental technical task as I said earlier -- we'd have to consider nominating you for "Hoarders: World of Warcraft Edition."

08/17/2011 07:10 PMPosted by Esandarius
Please reconsider the ability for Void Storage to retain gems and enchants on items. As you yourselves mentioned this new feature encourages the retaining of gear for various reasons and I feel that gems and enchants are integral to the flavor of an item. It shows that a character either got the item when it was current content and used it, or at least cared enough to go out and gather the authentic materials necessary.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#23 - Aug. 18, 2011, 3:16 a.m.
Blizzard Post
What will happen to items that have gems and or enchnats on them? will they be removed when you use/put that item on/in your storage?

Edit: Just remembered my 2nd question.

If I then take said item back out of storage will the gems/enchants be put back on?

We'll be releasing a full preview of the system tomorrow morning, so I don't want to get too into the details of the system right now. Stay tuned for the full preview. We'll be sure to field as many follow-up questions as we can tomorrow. :)
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#121 - Aug. 18, 2011, 4:44 p.m.
Blizzard Post
As Zarhym mentioned earlier, our Void Storage preview is now up!

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/3342240

If you have any questions or feedback about this feature, please feel free to post here or in the blog itself. We'll do our best to follow-up on your inquiries and address any concerns you may have. Just keep in mind that Void Storage is still under development, so many details -- including cost and what items are restricted -- may not be finalized and could change before patch 4.3 is released.

We'll qualify and clarify as much as can as best we can, though, so ask away. :)

08/18/2011 08:42 AMPosted by Gnomeybrit
Tabards are not considered gear, right? So we can't store Tabards in Void Storage?

Right now, we're looking at allowing tabards to be stored in Void Storage vaults. That may change as testing continues, of course, and depending on the feedback we receive from you guys (and gals).
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#149 - Aug. 18, 2011, 5:49 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Void Storage vaults will be per-character and not per-account, so it won't be a way for players to trade BoA items cross-realm. While that's still something we want players to be able to do, we've several technological hurdles to overcome before we can make that type of service available.

Hello, Zarhym,
I see no reason why, but I keep seeing people speculating into wether or not BoA's will be retrievable cross-realm-wide trough Void Storage.
Althought I would love that was true, all info given leads us towards believing Void Storage is character specific, and thus having no use into sending any items to other toons - not even toons on the same realm/faction. #amiright?
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#218 - Aug. 18, 2011, 9:53 p.m.
Blizzard Post
08/18/2011 10:28 AMPosted by Itsmurda
Could you comment on other soulbound items that are not equippable? For instance, Romantic Picnic Baskets and things of that sort, will they be able to be placed in void storage?

We're still discussing a lot of those details, so I can't really give you a "yes" or a "no" right now.

That said, the main requirement for an item to eligible for Void Storage is that it's soulbound. While Void Storage was primarily designed for gear that you plan to use for Transmogrification, that doesn't mean we won't allow other soulbound items -- even if they can't be equipped -- to be stored in Void Storage vaults, too. Such exceptions seem probable.

It's unlikely that we'll allow profession items, tradeskill items, pets and mounts, or consumables to be placed in Void Storage, though.

08/18/2011 10:53 AMPosted by Penguinlover
So, in order for us to use gear for an appearance tab we HAVE to spend 1000g to put stuff into the void storage so we can use it?

Nope. You don't need to place an item into Void Storage in order to use it for Transmogrification. The two systems are completely separate.

We're implementing Void Storage and Transmogrification at the same time because we know that, with Transmogrification, players are likely going to want and/or need more storage space, specifically for the long-term. And that’s the niche Void Storage fills. Just because one system (Void Storage) was designed to complement another (Transmogrification), that doesn't mean the two rely on each other functionally. :)

Sorry for the confusion, though! We’re looking to share more of the rules and restrictions surrounding Transmogrification as soon as possible.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#247 - Aug. 19, 2011, 12:25 a.m.
Blizzard Post
08/18/2011 04:38 PMPosted by Honeyrider
when we copy the looks of a weapon onto another wep, will it copy enchant looks too?

Under current rules? No. Right now, if you transmogrify an item, the enchant that will display will be the one on the equipped item.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#254 - Aug. 19, 2011, 12:57 a.m.
Blizzard Post
I wouldn't say it's our current game plan. The prices for unlocking a Void Storage vault, depositing items, and withdrawing items are all still under discussion, so there's definitely a possibility that one or all of them may change before patch 4.3 is released.

08/18/2011 10:28 AMPosted by Itsmurda
Also, I know you mentioned that the costs are not final, but is the current game plan to be 1k activation and 100g for every item deposited or withdrawn? That seems to be what is indicated in the screenshots.