Blizzard's thoughts on PvP, Jay Wilson interview

#1 - Aug. 2, 2011, 8:04 a.m.
Blizzard Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E452S_fJwA&feature=player_embedded#at=628

Skip to around 9:14 or so.

Over my dead body, PvP should not affect game balance. We want the PvE game to rule it.

Whenever we run into a case that "this would be really awesome for PvE", then the PvP guy goes like "Hey this kind of screws PvP", we're like "Shut up, PvP guy!"

Any thoughts? I'm actually hoping even more for a good MMO-alternative to WoW (or diablo 3) that puts its focus on PvP.

Notice it is a diablo 3 interview, but in this case, he is talking about WoW.

Wow. ^_^
Forum Avatar
Community
#136 - Aug. 3, 2011, 12:43 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I think this interview has been blown a little bit out of proportion, and there seem to be quite a misunderstanding on top of things.

It is important to remember that Diablo III and WoW are completely different games with different design philosophies behind them, and although the designers of our different games may seek inspiration from each other from time to time, the games are ultimately being developed independently from each other with different goals in mind.

Notice it is a diablo III interview, but in this case, he is talking about WoW.

This is actually not correct. It is indeed a Diablo III interview, and Jay Wilson is in fact talking about the current design philosophy behind PvP in Diablo 3. He makes a comparison between Diablo III and WoW, and he says that the PvE game is king in Diablo III and that unlike how things work in WoW, the PvP game in Diablo III will get no influence on game balance.

The PvP game in WoW is important, and the PvP game in WoW has an influence on game balance! If this wasn't the case, you would never see balance changes or tweaks in patches and hotfixes.

Forum Avatar
Community
#153 - Aug. 3, 2011, 1:45 p.m.
Blizzard Post
03/08/2011 15:34Posted by Pokemonmasta
The PvP game in WoW is important, and the PvP game in WoW has an influence on game balance!

Try saying that with a straight face. I bet you were laughing the entire time you were typing that.

I am totally serious when saying this. The PvP game in WoW is important, and it does have in influence on game balance in WoW!

Whether or not the PvP game in WoW is perfect and bug free is an entirely different topic altogether, which is already being discussed in several other threads.

Forum Avatar
Community
#157 - Aug. 3, 2011, 2:11 p.m.
Blizzard Post
The interview clearly shows the overall attitude at Blizzard regarding PvP and thereofre its totally relevant to Wow players.

This is simply not true. Jay Wilson talks about the PvP game in Diablo III and how the current design philosophy behind Diablo III focuses on the PvE game. Nowhere in the interview is it mentioned that Blizzard has a unified PvP game design philosophy that all our games must comply to.

The design philosophy behind WoW is different, as both the PvE game and the PvP game influences game balance. And we should also not forget about the design philosophy behind StarCraft II, which is focused heavily on the PvP game.

The point is that Diablo III is a completely different game than WoW (and StarCraft II for that matter), and as such the PvP game in Diablo III is weighed differently than the PvP game in WoW (or StarCraft II).
Forum Avatar
Community
#247 - Aug. 4, 2011, 6:48 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Their are many simple bugs in pvp, and many balancing issues

Nowhere has it been said that the PvP game in WoW is flawless and has no room for improvements. What has been said is that the PvP game in WoW is important!

Making everything perfectly balanced and bug free in an ever evolving and complex game like WoW is incredibly difficult, but that doesn't mean that we do not care or that we do not try.