Heroic leap - remove / change / explain

#0 - April 10, 2010, 8:26 p.m.
Blizzard Post
since it is only preview I really hope that developers will reconsider this ability, it might have its use for fury/arms - it is however absolutely useless skill (from its description as we have it now) for protection warriors.

we have charge

we have thunderclap

Was it really needed to combine the 2 and call it new lvl 85 ability?

As for rest of changed - rend v2.0 - really? how many prot warriors in PvE are wasting gcd on applying rend?

next ability - 100 rage - do what you can to avoid it like plague? I think that's what most of us trying to do now but thanks for clearing it up :o)

and to all those who say this is only preview blah blah, pls - stfu - go troll your forums or w/e - take a look on other classes - and then come back and tell us again how it will be cool for warriors.

I personally expect from cataclysm reason to continue playing this game - so far I am not finding any, we are (and were whole wotlk) on the botom of tanking - with paladins being - even now- absolute kings (which kinda started in sunwell in TBC)

last but not least - get rid of AD or give it to all tank classes, most OP ability EVER - passive immortality potion
#41 - April 13, 2010, 5:11 p.m.
Blizzard Post
The challenge with previews is to provide enough context so players understand the goals of the abilities without providing so much detail that players get over-focused on the minutiae.

Imagine Heroic Leap can be used in any stance, in or out of combat, hits for very serious AE damage and applies the Thunder Clap debuff. We keep it under control with a 2-3 min cooldown. This means warriors will sometimes be zipping in and out of melee, but that's kind of the warrior thing, and again the cooldown can help balance it.

I don't think these concerns are hard to address. We screwed up in the preview, I think, by making it sound like Heroic Leap was supposed to be a replacement for a Charge / Tclap macro. That wasn't the intention.
#61 - April 14, 2010, 1:55 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Tell me why I would want to use a 2-3 min cooldown when I can use a 15 sec cooldown, generate rage, and choose to TC/SW at my destination (or not)?

Because it's more powerful. We do this everywhere in the game. You have two abilities, one of which is weaker but gets used a lot, and the other of which is more powerful, but has a cooldown so you can't use it all the time.

I get that having an ability on too long a cooldown can make it too precious to where you're always saving it for a special occasion and never actually busting it out. The opposite problem is you never think twice about the ability because it will be available again before you miss it. On the other hand, longer cooldown abilities can do a whole lot more since they're balanced around not having 100% up time. Something in the 2 min frame seems to be about the sweet spot between "never used" and "used on cooldown" but it depends a lot on your class and other abilities.
#370 - April 15, 2010, 7:58 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
you yourself have characterized the damage component from "massive" to "serious." that sounds already like a reduction in the damage component, and we're not even in beta. thus, this is where the distrust comes from.

Heh. What synonym would you prefer? Mega damage?