Will Cat be different for you?

#0 - Feb. 24, 2010, 4:15 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Every expansion (and major content patch) on every server there's a group - or two - or several - of people who gather their resources, plan their course of action, and prepare to rush out the starting gate and take that content by storm. Their ambition is to be the first, the best, the finest raiders on their realm and scream through progression to the top of the heap and crush everything beneath their heels and ride their members-only achievement mounts to the envy of everyone else.

Someone is the best. Someone takes the reins and runs away with the show and gets the 'firsts' and flaunts their achievements. Everyone else is just a raid guild, somewhere on the scale from 'really consistently awesome' to 'I wonder how many people will log in this week'.

So for those of you who aren't named Ensidia (et. al.), would you do it differently next time?

I was part of a Wrath rush on my druid, and we did pretty great. We were anywhere from first to third in progression through three drakes, before the guild went supernova. But in the heat to rush through raid content there were huge pieces of Wrath I missed. I went from 70 to 80 in five days, but I skipped the wrathgate event. I didn't read quests, I didn't soak in the storyline. I ended up clearing all the raid content in one night a week, and left wondering the other six days what there was to do because I hadn't really seen Northrend yet.

So here we are staring down the barrel at Cataclysm. The time is coming soon whether you'll choose to rush to max and crack open the new raid content, or just take your time to enjoy everything.

Which road will you take? Are you going to do it differently this time?
#1 - Feb. 24, 2010, 5:21 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Every expansion (and major content patch) on every server there's a group - or two - or several - of people who gather their resources, plan their course of action, and prepare to rush out the starting gate and take that content by storm. Their ambition is to be the first, the best, the finest raiders on their realm and scream through progression to the top of the heap and crush everything beneath their heels and ride their members-only achievement mounts to the envy of everyone else.

Someone is the best. Someone takes the reins and runs away with the show and gets the 'firsts' and flaunts their achievements. Everyone else is just a raid guild, somewhere on the scale from 'really consistently awesome' to 'I wonder how many people will log in this week'.

So for those of you who aren't named Ensidia (et. al.), would you do it differently next time?

I was part of a Wrath rush on my druid, and we did pretty great. We were anywhere from first to third in progression through three drakes, before the guild went supernova. But in the heat to rush through raid content there were huge pieces of Wrath I missed. I went from 70 to 80 in five days, but I skipped the wrathgate event. I didn't read quests, I didn't soak in the storyline. I ended up clearing all the raid content in one night a week, and left wondering the other six days what there was to do because I hadn't really seen Northrend yet.

So here we are staring down the barrel at Cataclysm. The time is coming soon whether you'll choose to rush to max and crack open the new raid content, or just take your time to enjoy everything.

Which road will you take? Are you going to do it differently this time?

My goal is generally to hit level cap as soon as possible, but I don't rush to the point where I've sacrificed any enjoyment to be had in the process. I imagine I'll do the same for Cataclysm.
#24 - Feb. 24, 2010, 5:46 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I'm always torn by whether or not I want to start something new, or cap off a certain character and then create something new. With Cataclysm, I think that choice is going to be even more difficult for me. I'm drawn to the svelte and dangerous Goblins.
#95 - Feb. 24, 2010, 8:38 p.m.
Blizzard Post
When the game has launched, I will turn on the afterburner and race through the content as quickly as possible. When you are available for max level content right away, you can get into a nice groove that I like to be in.

That said, I do like to read the quests and I am very picky about making sure I clear out all quests in each zone. So to allow both of these behaviors, I spend time leveling in the beta to sit back, soak things in, ponder quests, etc. This allows me to go through things faster when needed and if I ever felt like I went through a zone too fast, I'll focus my attention on that area when going through on one of my alts.