Alchemy recipe discovered!

#0 - Feb. 2, 2007, 12:21 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I just want to get a clue on how many pots/elexirs/transmutes peeps have done when they discovered a new recipe?

I have make a little under 200 and still have´nt discovered anything, want to know if it´s a matter of luck or a matter of how many you make?
#5 - Feb. 2, 2007, 3:49 p.m.
Blizzard Post
The discoveries of new recipes is intended to be very rare – simply grind-crafting potions is likely not going to pay off. We want players to play, level, craft, and if they're lucky, discover a new recipe. It's not guaranteed that every alchemist will even discover one of them any time soon.

One other reason to make the discoveries rare is to spread out the specialities amongst different alchemists (for example within a guild).
#66 - Feb. 6, 2007, 7:33 p.m.
Blizzard Post
To clarify then:

The discoveries aren't intended to be common, they're extremely rare. It's really intended to be a bonus if you happen to get one, and not something every alchemist is guaranteed to see.

They're so rare that if you're putting effort purely towards discovery you could be spending a lot of time and resources to simply be disappointed. If you do find one, it should be a happy discovery, and not a waste of time if you don't.

What I'm saying is don't expect to discover one, but if you do then congratulations.
#99 - Feb. 8, 2007, 6:43 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Doing 5mans, hoping for that 3% dropchance recipe to drop.
OR
Grinding herbs to make pots hoping for a 0.1% (probably less) discovery chance.

You are not meant to grind pots. Make pots like you normally would (for selling or for using or whatever), and if you're lucky you will learn a new recipe. You're not meant to grind herbs to then grind pots to discover a new recipe; this is an extra bonus you might get. It's as simple as that.

It's a bonus, not something you are entitled to and now is very difficult to get. If you see it that way I can understand you feel frustrated, but it's not how it's intended.