Raid drops and double loots!

#0 - July 6, 2007, 12:04 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Wasn't really sure where to post this, rage got the best of me i guess.

My guild is a semi decent one on my server of Sunstrider, Allbeit we are not among the top, we still progress and manage to have fun. As of lately we've been progressing through various instances and are currently focusing on Clearing SSC, with only Vashj left. in any case, enough of the unimportant info.

Since we killed Void Reaver for the first time, he's dropped 6x Paladin/rogue/shaman shoulders, and with Karathress he's dropped 8x exactly the same. Now, Master Looter has been the same (a paladin, our GM) on the encounters, and previous experiences tells me (and especially now) that loots cannot be random at all. The odds of having 8x the same loot in a row, it's a wee bit depressing tbh, and it just goes to tell me that loot chances for certain people and/or classes seems to have an increased dropchance overall. Now he's ofcourse jolly and happy as he gets his tier items for basically nothing, as it's so common. While the rest of the players/classes (not counting classes or players of which these items include ofcourse) ,and especially me it seems, this is getting to the point where raiding isn't fun.

It's been proven in the past aswell in other raid dungeons such as MC and BWL, or even AQ40 and Naxxramas aswell, that certain people loot certain tier drops more than others. Back in the days of MC, we looted nothing but Felheart. in BWL it was Dragonstalker, or certain bosses like chromaggus which dropped nothing but Nemesis, or Nefarian which dropped nothing but Transcendence. Mystery is though, that as soon as we changed Master Looter in various instances, other tier items started to drop.

Blizzard can say what they want as of now, when it comes to bossdrops and how it's on a random coded sequence, I call bull*#*!.

Since blizzard had the decency to add 2x tier drops to various bosses, they should atleast put in a blocker that defines the fact that there cannot be 2x the same tier drop. Or for that matter 2x the same random loot drop from various bosses, as we got 2x [UselessCloakof*#*!ness] from Doomwalker aswell on our firstkill.

In any case, i might be just paranoid and ranting off, but as of lately it's getting more and more boring playing this game, when it seems you're not playing with the same rules as everyone else. If anyone has the same experiences, feel free to share.
#29 - July 6, 2007, 2:05 p.m.
Blizzard Post
This issue has come up several times before, but we can assure you that the algorithm generating the pseudo-random values used to assign loot is entirely secure and is not seeded from any particular player influenceable factor (such as Master Looter). If you have a lucky Master Looter, then by all means continue using him, but his influence lies with fate, and not with our algorithm.

I will quote for you one of the earliest posts made two years ago on this topic by Hellrot on the old US forums:

Q u o t e:
Another popular theory I want to touch on is "hot streaks". This is the same logic that made La$ Vega$ into the city it is today. People like to see patterns where none exist. They also like to look at some statistics but not others. Let's take an example. What are the chances of rolling 98 or higher? Simple: 3%. What are the chances of rolling 98 or higher 5 times in a row? About 1 in 4.1 million. If you stop there you would think that if you saw somebody roll 98+ 5 times in a row, they *must* be cheating! But let's not stop there. How many random rolls are there each night? Many millions. So what are the chances that a noticeable number of people did indeed roll 98+ 5 times in a row? Virtually guaranteed.

At the first reports of suspected roll hacking, we did a review of the loot rolling code and found no vulnerabilities. We still decided to go ahead and log all loot rolls so that we can address suspected roll hacks with real information. Since that time we have checked these logs against claims of roll hacking and have as yet found nothing to substantiate any of the claims. In some cases we have seen direct evidence that the claims were false in the first place.

In summary, there are no known roll hacks. We will continue to monitor and investigate these issues.