Shadowstep feedback.

#0 - Nov. 6, 2006, 12:33 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I have noticed great thread about rogue new 41pt talent, Shadowstep, and as I havent seen anything similiar on EU forum, I decided to make a topic concerning particular issue with this excellent new talent.
( http://beta.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=1250807&sid=1 )

The problem with this ability in its current form is as described by Spriket. This ability was designed (as I suspect) to catch players, and lag is making it very very hard to be useful when the victim is moving, you would be forced to use sprint, or, at least have 5/5 Camo which wouldnt help 100% also.

Im sure Devs planned this ability to work as it says, teleports behind enemy so u can instantly attack him/her afterwards, and also add new playstyle to rogues, but this has same downside as Charge had, exactly as Spriket mentioned.
Charge was fixed by implementing 1s stun.
This needs to be addressed also, and here are the ideas:

Best solutions so far:

1. Give haste effect upon using Shadowstep, be it 1, 2 or up to 5s, about 30% - 50%, this way would give a choice to not to attack your enemy and do something else intead ((variety)) also would solve the lag problem.

2. "Instead of the current mechanics of shadowstep you would activate shadowstep much like cold blood. Pressing any opener will cause you to shadowstep and simultaneously perform that opener, be it cheap shot, ambush, garrotte or sap, but it will cost 10 more energy to use. However, if you do not want to attack the target, you can simply press shadowstep a second time to shadowstep behind your target, costing 10 energy. After shadowstep has been performed, you will get a 10 second damage buff that will increase the damage done by your next special attack by 20%."
- Hairyspleen's idea

----------------------------------------

Edit: I have deleted all optional ideas. The reason is that most players think that this ability should not notice enemy about rogue presence right upon and short time after using it, so all ideas about giving it 1s daze effect, distract and any other things fail with this ability concept.

---------------------------------------

Additional idea for Shadowstep: Another player on US wrote that it could be also great as an escape ability. I understand if Devs believe that Cloak of Shadow + Vanish (and sprint if necessary) is enough, then just ignore this, BUT an idea here:

If you use it without target = Shadowsteps you XXy in direction you facing
If used with target = normal shadowstep, behind target, including distract, to solve the problem mentioned above.

Other concerns regarding Shadowstep:

THX @Ghoststalker for the concern with Premeditation, as it should have range same as shadowstep = 30y, "would be wierd to be able to use shadowstep, but be out of range to use premeditation"

There IS an issue with heavy subtlety builds + dagger spec, regardless of Lethality givin 15% real bonus or 30% the numbers you get are very week INCLUDING +10% and +15%agi. You can check the testing Madtool / Xidius did as 67lvl rogue in tbc beta, here is the thread http://beta.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=1250678&sid=1

As you all can see, BS dmg loss is too big, and +dmg on ambush too small. So maybe Devs will think over again the idea of replacing BS with S&D, making heavy subtlety dagger builds more desirable.

Also, other ways of help to heavy sub dagger builds would be to move Imp BS to tier 0, as 4th talent, or replace it with Imp Gouge which would become 5.5 base. Or replace it with Sleight of Hand. In other words, free up the absolute need of putting 8 points to combat. Compromise with putting it as 4th talent tier 0 would be good, choose Imp BS but you lose Imp Gouge (if you want to free more points) if not, you get 6 minimum, 2 points freed, not overpowered. But if players prefer, they can lose gouge and free up to 5 points. Makes sense.

Please feel free to add your feedback, fellow rogues. And thank you very much for all the feedback already made.

EDITS: Updates
#29 - Nov. 7, 2006, 1:48 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Since the feedback is good, I just renamed this thread instead of locking it. Don't use blue in the topic in the future though. Now, please continue the interesting discussion :)