Vampiric Touch summary.

#0 - Jan. 29, 2007, 7:34 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I have came to idea of summarising Vampiric Touch uses and everything about it since so many people post daily topic about how usefull it is or such ( do not troll please if something about this text discomforts you - on contrary - post a constructive post if you will ). So let's get started.

Vampiric Touch

Vampiric Touch ( further in text : VT ) is a 41 point talent in priest's Shadow talent tree.
It is a Damage over Time ( DoT ), 1.5 second cast time spell which also has sideffect of regenerating mana for your whole party.

Uses of VT

1. Player versus Environment( PvE )

Use of this spell in PvE is one of main reasons Blizzard added it ingame.
The potential of this spell greatly increases as you gain more spell damage equipment - e.g. - use of this spell will be far more noticable at Shadow Priest which has DPS gear with around 500-600 additional spell damage than with a Shadow Priest which tries to center himself around survivability and mana amount. This spell shines in PvE raid environment - if you are put in healers or dps group - other casters will recieve a lot of mana regenerated in typical raid boss fight ( e.g. - 5 minutes ).
Is it worthfull recasting VT after it expires ? Definantley. Not only it is a boost to your damage, it is aswell a helpfull and powerfull tool to keep your party members going. Aswell - use of this DoT in grinding is usefull aswell - gather 2-3 enemies, cast VT and Shadow Word : Pain on them, and finish them off. Considering you have Spirit Tap - you will be approximately at 75-80% of base mana ( considering you started with 100% ).

2. Player versus Player ( PvP )

This spell is allmost as good in PvP environment as in PvE environment.
It really shines in 1 versus 1 encounters in world pvp - however, it is not bad in battleground environment - not at all. You will cast your Mind Flays at 70% mana cost rather than at 100% mana cost ( same goes for all your spells ). Also - its DoT factor should not be put away - it causes you to regenerate more health via using Vampiric Embrace aswell.

Risk versus reward

This is mostly directioned at PvP, than at PvE.
Is it worth wasting 1.5 seconds to cast it at opponent and risking counterspell/spell lock ?
If you feel bad about those 1.5 seconds to cast it - how come you don't feel bad about channeling Mind Flay on someone for 3 seconds in which time your opponent has time to cut you off from your primary shadow school ? Yes - its definantley worth the risk.

Spell at lower levels ( 50-55 ), mana cost and grind sessions

Is it worth casting the spell with no adequate spell damage gear, with relatively small mana pool in grinding session which involves killing multiple mobs ? In my opinion - no. Vampiric Touch is something like wine - as you are getting older it gets better. In my expirience - this spell has becomen great at level 55 for me.

Undead priest racial issues

Is it better to get Vampiric Touch immedeately or get Inner Focus first then wait for Vampiric Touch to obtain at level 61 ? In my oppinion - no. Vampiric Touch and Devouring Plague are 2 completley different spells - whilst Devouring Plague is only player castable Disease in game with major cooldown and mana cost - Vampiric Touch is far more usefull than mana-free Devouring Plague ( though all 2 used together is a great combo at later levels ).

I hope I have made life easier for some people with this text - if you see any mistake - please do correct me.

[edit - fixed PvE description]
#2 - Jan. 29, 2007, 7:47 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Nice post :)

How does the rest of you feel about this spell?