Girlfriend scammed. Response Disappointing..

#1 - May 27, 2011, 7:11 p.m.
Blizzard Post

Long story some what short. I log on last night to play with my gf. About 10 minutes into our first WSG she says "oooh lookie" and pulls out a pandaren monk. I said "oh cool u bought those" and she says happily "no i paid 5k for him and 10k more for KT and Rag!"

I then relectently (cuz she was so excited) informed her that i have seen this scam on the forums (she doesn't read the forums, shes pretty casual) and that you'll probably have them taken away. I tell her i believe the person selling htem was using a stolen card or will "charge back" his card and so blizzard removes them.

2 hours later ofcourse they are gone... But heres the part that upsets me.. and her EXTREMLY.

Not one word was told to her.... No email, no in game letter, nothing. Just taken off her account. Now tell me what she did wrong? We both understand why they were removed but shes a loyal customer (6 years running.. i know cuz i pay for her) she bought it with IN GAME currency. She broke no rules.. Why wasnt her money given back to her with a generic "theives, hackers, blah blah blah.. Never trust real life currency items to be purchased with in game credits" or something around those nature..

Now she wants to quit because she feels not only "stupid" for falling for a scam.. but shes out 15,000 gold with a giant "we dont care" from blizzard.

Oh and those saying put in a ticket.. she did only to have it closed with no answer.. .
Forum Avatar
Support Forum Agent
#88 - May 27, 2011, 8:40 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Hello Kiro,
Long story some what short. I log on last night to play with my gf. About 10 minutes into our first WSG she says "oooh lookie" and pulls out a pandaren monk. I said "oh cool u bought those" and she says happily "no i paid 5k for him and 10k more for KT and Rag!"

I then relectently (cuz she was so excited) informed her that i have seen this scam on the forums (she doesn't read the forums, shes pretty casual) and that you'll probably have them taken away. I tell her i believe the person selling htem was using a stolen card or will "charge back" his card and so blizzard removes them.

2 hours later ofcourse they are gone... But heres the part that upsets me.. and her EXTREMLY.

Not one word was told to her.... No email, no in game letter, nothing. Just taken off her account. Now tell me what she did wrong? We both understand why they were removed but shes a loyal customer (6 years running.. i know cuz i pay for her) she bought it with IN GAME currency. She broke no rules.. Why wasnt her money given back to her with a generic "theives, hackers, blah blah blah.. Never trust real life currency items to be purchased with in game credits" or something around those nature..

Now she wants to quit because she feels not only "stupid" for falling for a scam.. but shes out 15,000 gold with a giant "we dont care" from blizzard.

Oh and those saying put in a ticket.. she did only to have it closed with no answer.. .
Sorry to hear on how your girlfriend was scammed. Unfortunately, there is not much we can do in this situation. Players take their own risks when getting involved in these types on transactions and there are consequence.

These pets can be purchased online, without the need of an in game transaction through our very own store to prevent these types of thefts.

Without really knowing any details of your girlfriends account, and because this is a separate account you are inquiring about, I am unable to specify details or really tell why she did not receive a response. However, this situation does fall under "Scamming Another Player", in our Scam policy below.

Scam Policy
http://us.blizzard.com/support/article/20459

Usually we will gather the information, remove the items and action the players involved. Here is some information that also states this is not allowed.

http://us.blizzard.com/support/article/21507

Exchange of World of Warcraft Currency/Goods/Services for non-World of Warcraft Currency/Goods/Services, and Vice-Versa (Buying/Selling Gold, Items, Characters, and/or Accounts)

Anyone offering World of Warcraft content for sale is attempting to steal from and deceive you, as no one is EVER allowed to sell any aspect of the World of Warcraft MMORPG except Blizzard and its licensees. Blizzard will not recognize the transaction resulting from the seller's prohibited behavior! Attempting to circumvent this rule by selling "the time put into the character" DOES NOT make such a sale legitimate, as the transaction still results in the transfer of World of Warcraft virtual property (which is acknowledged by every player as solely belonging to Blizzard Entertainment and/or its licensors) and in the seller receiving money.

And it is also stated in our TOU.

How about this? A person selling a car (blizzard) gets robbed (the thief). Car gets purchased (my gf). The car salesman pushes a button (blizzard) and car returns. No harm done right? ohh but guess what the person who purchased this car from the thief has purchased cars from the car salesman for 6 YEARS and is a loyal and returning customer... AND THE CAR SALESMAN KNOWS THIS WHEN HE PUSHES THE BUTTON!

Do think they'd call / inform the person why they are taking it back and then be remoseful while they explain why they had to take it back and that they could not re-imburse her money considering they didnt get the money back?

oh but wait they did! and this "money she paid for the car" is acutally PRINTED BY THE CAR DEALERSHIP(BLIZZARD) and has no actual monetary value!!

So ya i to can make dumb examples.. but if your gonna make it.. atleast make it right and dont leave out stuff to make your arguement sound better.
I think you are confusing Blizzard with a used car dealership. This is not the case.

All in all, I understand you are upset over the issue, she can submit another petition for an explanation but the answer will remain the same. This does not mean we do not care, it just means there are policies in place and Terms of Use to follow, even if you have been a loyal player for 6 years or a few days, same rules apply to all. They will not be able to reimburse the loss, my apologies.