Character/Guild/Arena Team APIs Preview

Forum Avatar
Web & Mobile Team
#1 - May 11, 2011, 2:24 a.m.
Blizzard Post
As previously announced, we are planning to expand the Community Platform API with feeds for the 3 different types of profiles currently available on the website: characters, guilds, and arena teams. We’d like to share our current plans (may change, not a promise) with all of you as we look forward to providing a robust API that meets the needs of the community.

Each of the feeds below will be accessed by using a realm and name. The feeds will always contain basic information by default, and will have optional fields that can be requested via a parameter – making it possible to retrieve all the data in a single request. A locale parameter will also be available for localized strings. In addition, the feeds will support the Last-Modified HTTP header to help with caching. Just like with the realm status feed, region will be specified using the subdomain (e.g. eu.battle.net/api/.. for European realms).

Character
  • URL: /api/wow/character/{realm}/{name}
  • Basic information: name, level, class, race, gender, faction, guild, achievement points
  • Optional fields: equipped items, stats, reputation, primary and secondary skills, achievements/statistics, talents, titles, collected mounts and companions, quests, profession recipes, Hunter pets, PvP information

Guild
  • URL: /api/wow/guild/{realm}/{name}
  • Basic information: name, level, achievement points
  • Optional fields: members (roster), achievements

Arena Team
  • URL: /api/wow/arena/{realm}/{size}/{name} (size being 2v2, 3v3 or 5v5)
  • Basic information: name, ranking, rating, weekly/season statistics
  • Optional fields: members (roster)

Optional fields would be requested using the ‘fields’ parameter, where you specify everything you need using a comma-separated list. e.g:
/api/wow/character/realm-name/grotako?fields=items,talents,mounts,titles
Sample feeds will soon be provided as we’d also like feedback on the data format. In the meantime, let us know what you think!

p.s: We’ll have more details on the Auction House and Arena Ladder APIs to share in the coming weeks.
Forum Avatar
Web & Mobile Team
#9 - May 11, 2011, 4:16 p.m.
Blizzard Post
05/10/2011 07:55 PMPosted by Sixen
And I have to say that I enjoyed seeing the Page not Found error, :P.

Haha, thanks!
Forum Avatar
Web & Mobile Team
#10 - May 11, 2011, 4:17 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Regarding quest ids, this is something we are very interested in doing. We are still working out the details of how and when, but we'd like to provide a general list of what quests have been completed.
Forum Avatar
Web & Mobile Team
#12 - May 11, 2011, 5:14 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Pretty cool stuff, Grotako, thanks! I do have a question though, for example... Something like..
/api/wow/character/black-dragonflight/sixen

Would just show what you have listed as "basic information," it would not include all optional fields as well, unless we specify all optional fields?

That's correct. Optional fields aren't returned unless requested.
Forum Avatar
Web & Mobile Team
#17 - May 11, 2011, 3:15 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Looks great! Very glad to see mounts and pets added to the list as well. Thanks for sharing, can't wait to try it out!

I don't want to be a "give an inch and they'll take a mile" guy, so I offer this suggestion humbly with hat in hand: perhaps completed quest IDs, too? Maybe not right away, but I know many a budding loremaster who might want a web interface to see what they've missed.

Even if quests don't make it in, I'm very happy with how things are developing. You folks got the message.

We'll try to get quests and profession recipes in.
Forum Avatar
Web & Mobile Team
#25 - May 13, 2011, 4:19 p.m.
Blizzard Post
05/12/2011 09:01 PMPosted by Woef
The XHTML->JSON proxy for us.battle.net characters has been updated.

This belongs in another thread as it is unrelated to the current topic.
Forum Avatar
Web & Mobile Team
#30 - May 13, 2011, 8:34 p.m.
Blizzard Post
05/13/2011 01:10 PMPosted by Delilya
Are there any plans of rolling out an API for guild recent news?

Guild API features have been discussed in a few other threads as well. Check out:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2369882991
Forum Avatar
Web & Mobile Team
#31 - May 13, 2011, 8:36 p.m.
Blizzard Post
[quote]
Is there some way to get gender from the existing XHTML pages?

Yes if you mean battle.et, but its not obvious. circa line 56 (when i view my character while not logged into battle.net) is a line that controls the .profile-wrapper background-image. it points to a url that looks something like:

http://us.battle.net/static-render/us/bloodhoof/248/14313720-profilemain.jpg?alt=/wow/static/images/2d/profilemain/race/10-0.jpg

See the race/10-0.jpg?

0 = male
1 = female

If you mean the old xml wowarmory feed then no. That data is in the roster feed though.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but I haven't figured out another way or devoted more then the past 5 minutes trying. :)

This is a very round-about way of getting this information. You should probably just wait for the character API to be available.
Forum Avatar
Web & Mobile Team
#35 - May 14, 2011, 6:41 p.m.
Blizzard Post
05/13/2011 02:00 PMPosted by Palisis
Any idea when we'll be able to compare characters? Specifically interested in comparing achievements between toons. Thanks.

Building something specific like this isn't on our radar. What we would rather do is make sure the APIs we release allow developers who would be interested in making like this to do so.
Forum Avatar
Web & Mobile Team
#36 - May 14, 2011, 6:42 p.m.
Blizzard Post
05/13/2011 01:45 PMPosted by Kittenpies
Anyways obviously it is one of my fondest dreams to have WoW APIs using it too, if you think it is something that might interest you shoot me a note, shanley @ apigee.com

Actually, we tried to reach out to you guys earlier this week but didn't hear back. I'll give it another go and we can take this conversation out of this thread.
Forum Avatar
Web & Mobile Team
#37 - May 14, 2011, 6:44 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Are you planning on providing OAuth authentication ...

OAuth is something that I'm very very interested in doing, but there are a lot of details that we would have to work out and it wouldn't be done any time soon.
Forum Avatar
Web & Mobile Team
#40 - May 17, 2011, 3:47 p.m.
Blizzard Post
05/17/2011 07:25 AMPosted by Mysticell
Are there any plans to expose (the locations of) avatars or other character renders via the API?

Yes. We are currently working through some of the details on the policy of downloading character avatars for use outside of the World of Warcraft community site.
Forum Avatar
Web & Mobile Team
#46 - May 27, 2011, 8:20 p.m.
Blizzard Post
05/27/2011 01:10 PMPosted by Cemone
Any time frame as to when we will be able to start to experiment with some of the initial implementation data returns?

When it is ready.
Forum Avatar
Web & Mobile Team
#48 - May 27, 2011, 11:08 p.m.
Blizzard Post
05/27/2011 02:33 PMPosted by Delritha
With characters being able to supply Profession recipes as an optional field, have you thought about adding Guild profession recipes as well?

We've talked about it, but it something we won't likely do.

05/27/2011 02:33 PMPosted by Delritha
Also any thought about showing currencies in the character optional field?

We probably won't be doing that either.