Compilation of Questions for CMs/DEVs

#0 - Nov. 18, 2006, 2:50 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Recently our kind CM Vaneras has clearly stated that the CMs are indeed reading our posts and mentioned that as soon as possible they will try to be more active in this community of angry kittens (reference to the angry kitten picture that is now on my desktop) ;), so i was wondering if something very similar to what was don in the mages foruns could incite our friend Vaneras to speak up with a couple of answers to some questions i had the liberty to gather up from the community:

So, in short, here goes:

1- Usease of consumables in forms:
Why restrain the feral druids from using such an important aspect of the game? The developers think it'll overpower druids in any form in concrete or is it purely to avoid druids to stick to one form for too long thus making the druid lose some of the "shifting" ability? Is this definate or still in testing?
Answer:
http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html?topicId=84108466&sid=1&pageNo=6#117

2- Weapon procs in feral
The most commonly asked is the enchant "crusader", but as we all know, the ramifications are much deaper than only just that enchant. Most people say its incoherent to lose weapon procs based on the fact that we dont "use" the weapon but we still use its stats and still have to repair the weapon... Question is, what is the reasoning behind the weapon proccing in forms, the 1.0s fast attack rate or the added dps from WF totems (for example), would put the feral druid out of the proportion blizzard intends for out estimated dps?
Answer:
http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html?topicId=84108466&sid=1&pageNo=6#117

Edit : (added - mechanics - cat range issue)
3- Cat form weapon speed normalization / mechanics:
I'm not great at maths, but its been proven by lots of calculations that the 1.0s weapon speed simply doesnt scale in the same way other melee classes do based on the game mechanics atm. The only way blizzard has found untill now to upgrade dps in cat form was based on the addition of large quantities of +feral attack power in gear. Can we expect anytime a weapon speed normalization for cat form or the way blizzard is going is simply by adding more +attack power ? Other issue is the cat range "bug". We all know its there, its as simple as changing to bear form and the problem disapears. We all have to be ON TOP of the enemy in pvp to avoid "out of range issues". Has been told million of times and even given proof of its existance. Every druid from casual to hardcore has noted that the center of attack from our cat is not like the other classes and is clearly bugged. Are the devs aware of that?
PARTIAL Answer:
http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html;jsessionid=63D7F5CD09F7FF2AA24BD6D838B84B67?topicId=74427446&pageNo=9&sid=1#170

4- ShapeShifting Costs:
Druids are counted as shapeshifters to adjust to the situation and, if played well, overcome the obstacles. Being the shapeshifting the "thing" that makes the druid versatile and the primary source of power most people think that shapeshifting should be given incentives, not a very large mana cost as it is now. The current mana costs are based exactly on what? To prevent feral druids from going all out in melee stats, disregarding +INT, or simply because shapeshifting too much could put the druid into a much more hybrid role (hum, althought this doesnt make much sense).
Answer: http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html;jsessionid=63D7F5CD09F7FF2AA24BD6D838B84B67?topicId=61866863&pageNo=2&sid=1#23

5- Raid usefullness in non-resto specs.
A buff to +5% crit in moonkin and feral forms was indeed noticable by the druidic community, but unfortunately it's not enough to warrant both this specs in a raiding scenario. Imp LOTP was a good step in the right direction but the recent nerf was generaly accepted as a hit on the foot. Imp LOTP was our trumph card to get into raids i hope blizzard has that idea. If the reasoning behind the nerf was Solo PVE / tanking another solution should be brought up to compensate our ability to buff the raid in some way. Was it "nerfed" because of the recent bear +STA bonus? then why?
Answer:
http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html?topicId=84108466&sid=1&pageNo=13

6- Tree of Life. [edit: banish?]
I could write a single gigantic post around this one... but i'll keep it short. Why in fact the reduction in speed? To make it less viable in pvp because it could unbalance group pvp or for "lore" reasons meaning that a tree should run slower? Taking the usease of Healing touch in the final tier 41 talent while at least 10 talents points before buff healing touch seems rather strange, why remove healing touch from the tree of life, because the -20% cost on healing touch could make it overpowered? In sum, can you please explain why this two limitation to this form while Shadow priests and moonkin only lose access to a certain "tree" of spells ? (generaly ppl sugest that you could only cast resto spells in this form) EDIT: Why on earth, azeroth and Elune warlocks can BANISH the tree form? I know it can be classified as an "elemental" but come on ;) its a clear disadvantage, working as intended or bug?
Answer http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html;jsessionid=F64FB07972D826520A0F4FEF22E0BBD1?topicId=84108466&sid=1&pageNo=15

7- Moonkin Melee mechanics
I think 100% of the posts i've read (yes, 100%) say that a moonkin meleeing is simply not working. Problems like swing timers and lack of damage (even with the gigantic +attack power in forms) make it an idea simply put to waste because its simply not working. Is blizzard aware of this problem and trying to make any kind of alterations? if so, can you give us a light on the issue?
Answer: http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html?topicId=43845353&postId=875913593&sid=1#42

8- Parry in forms
Even a level 20 beast mob has it. Druids, the almighty sons of cenarion cant even parry. From all the melee classes, we (even if specced in that tree by choice) are the only ones who cant parry (well, taking into account talents). Is this for balance issues in tanking in bear form or generaly because you already think we are overpowered in cat form survival (i hope you dont think this honestly ;) ) Why the reasoning behind this shortfall?
Answer : http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html?topicId=75297651&sid=1

9- The "epic" feel
Is this a worry from the developers? at level 60, we look the same as a level 20-30 Bear/cat. THis COULD be looked as an advantage because we could make our oponent think "hum, his he epicced or casual???", but i think the general population feel that we should look a little more menacing or a little better in (for example) cat form with 2000 attack power epicced tier 4 gear. Other issue is (for example) the graphics i saw in the Earthwarden (Cenarion expedition exalted reward). While i simply DROOL over hundreds of grpahics on epicced swords/maces/staffs/axes (even crafted), i simply go "HUm?" with the druid items... they lack... you know... Shiny epicx syndrome?! question is, is this being looked at at all or is it an issue the developers simply cant look into it right now?
Partial Answer
http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html?topicId=45555308&postId=886716538&sid=1#145

10- Final, but not least, a more generic question:
What does Blizzard expect from druids? a class that fills in the gaps in a 25 man raid when the guild is short on people, mainly a healer with a few perks that dies in 5 seconds if he tries to off-tank in resto oriented gear (ahem), or the itemization will be the eden of level 70 druids with hybrid heavy stats that wont gimp us too much if we are main-doing a job in a certain circunstance and want to be on top 10 in anything (damage, healing, etc).
Answer http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html;jsessionid=F64FB07972D826520A0F4FEF22E0BBD1?topicId=84108466&sid=1&pageNo=15

There you go, 10 simple questions that some of the druids would like answered. I'm sure theres a couple more questions that druids wanted to see answered but then again we would have to make an open letter to the press annoucing it and taking the chance it would be so big that the entire HQ of Blizzard would have to make a meeting to try and answer it ;)

I'm hoping for a response but heck, even if i dont have an answer, at least i got it out of my system, after nearly 1 year of building up "steam" inside my head.

Cheers and thanks for reading (those few brave ones).
#33 - Nov. 20, 2006, 9:26 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Recently our kind CM Vaneras has clearly stated that the CMs are indeed reading our posts and mentioned that as soon as possible they will try to be more active in this community of angry kittens (reference to the angry kitten picture that is now on my desktop) ;), so i was wondering if something very similar to what was don in the mages foruns could incite our friend Vaneras to speak up with a couple of answers to some questions i had the liberty to gather up from the community:

So, in short, here goes:

Why restrain the feral druids from using such an important aspect of the game? The developers think it'll overpower druids in any form in concrete or is it purely to avoid druids to stick to one form for too long thus making the druid lose some of the "shifting" ability? Is this definate or still in testing?

2- Weapon procs in feral
The most commonly asked is the enchant "crusader", but as we all know, the ramifications are much deaper than only just that enchant. Most people say its incoherent to lose weapon procs based on the fact that we dont "use" the weapon but we still use its stats and still have to repair the weapon... Question is, what is the reasoning behind the weapon proccing in forms, the 1.0s fast attack rate or the added dps from WF totems (for example), would put the feral druid out of the proportion blizzard intends for out estimated dps?

3- Cat form weapon speed normalization:
I'm not great at maths, but its been proven by lots of calculations that the 1.0s weapon speed simply doesnt scale in the same way other melee classes do based on the game mechanics atm. The only way blizzard has found untill now to upgrade dps in cat form was based on the addition of large quantities of +feral attack power in gear. Can we expect anytime a weapon speed normalization for cat form or the way blizzard is going is simply by adding more +attack power ?

4- ShapeShifting Costs:
Druids are counted as shapeshifters to adjust to the situation and, if played well, overcome the obstacles. Being the shapeshifting the "thing" that makes the druid versatile and the primary source of power most people think that shapeshifting should be given incentives, not a very large mana cost as it is now. The current mana costs are based exactly on what? To prevent feral druids from going all out in melee stats, disregarding +INT, or simply because shapeshifting too much could put the druid into a much more hybrid role (hum, althought this doesnt make much sense).

A buff to +5% crit in moonkin and feral forms was indeed noticable by the druidic community, but unfortunately it's not enough to warrant both this specs in a raiding scenario. Imp LOTP was a good step in the right direction but the recent nerf was generaly accepted as a hit on the foot. Imp LOTP was our trumph card to get into raids i hope blizzard has that idea. If the reasoning behind the nerf was Solo PVE / tanking another solution should be brought up to compensate our ability to buff the raid in some way. Was it "nerfed" because of the recent bear +STA bonus? then why?

6- Tree of Life.
I could write a single gigantic post around this one... but i'll keep it short. Why in fact the reduction in speed? To make it less viable in pvp because it could unbalance group pvp or for "lore" reasons meaning that a tree should run slower? Taking the usease of Healing touch in the final tier 41 talent while at least 10 talents points before buff healing touch seems rather strange, why remove healing touch from the tree of life, because the -20% cost on healing touch could make it overpowered? In sum, can you please explain why this two limitation to this form while Shadow priests and moonkin only lose access to a certain "tree" of spells ? (generaly ppl sugest that you could only cast resto spells in this form)

7- Moonkin Melee mechanics
I think 100% of the posts i've read (yes, 100%) say that a moonkin meleeing is simply not working. Problems like swing timers and lack of damage (even with the gigantic +attack power in forms) make it an idea simply put to waste because its simply not working. Is blizzard aware of this problem and trying to make any kind of alterations? if so, can you give us a light on the issue?

8- Parry in forms
Even a level 20 beast mob has it. Druids, the almighty sons of cenarion cant even parry. From all the melee classes, we (even if specced in that tree by choice) are the only ones who cant parry (well, taking into account talents). Is this for balance issues in tanking in bear form or generaly because you already think we are overpowered in cat form survival (i hope you dont think this honestly ;) ) Why the reasoning behind this shortfall?

9- The "epic" feel
Is this a worry from the developers? at level 60, we look the same as a level 20-30 Bear/cat. THis COULD be looked as an advantage because we could make our oponent think "hum, his he epicced or casual???", but i think the general population feel that we should look a little more menacing or a little better in (for example) cat form with 2000 attack power epicced tier 4 gear. Other issue is (for example) the graphics i saw in the Earthwarden (Cenarion expedition exalted reward). While i simply DROOL over hundreds of grpahics on epicced swords/maces/staffs/axes (even crafted), i simply go "HUm?" with the druid items... they lack... you know... Shiny epicx syndrome?! question is, is this being looked at at all or is it an issue the developers simply cant look into it right now?

10- Final, but not least, a more generic question:
What does Blizzard expect from druids? a class that fills in the gaps in a 25 man raid when the guild is short on people, mainly a healer with a few perks that dies in 5 seconds if he tries to off-tank in resto oriented gear (ahem), or the itemization will be the eden of level 70 druids with hybrid heavy stats that wont gimp us too much if we are main-doing a job in a certain circunstance and want to be on top 10 in anything (damage, healing, etc).

There you go, 10 simple questions that some of the druids would like answered. I'm sure theres a couple more questions that druids wanted to see answered but then again we would have to make an open letter to the press annoucing it and taking the chance it would be so big that the entire HQ of Blizzard would have to make a meeting to try and answer it ;)

I'm hoping for a response but heck, even if i dont have an answer, at least i got it out of my system, after nearly 1 year of building up "steam" inside my head.

Cheers and thanks for reading (those few brave ones).

Nice little compilation of questions you have made there. I will try to see if I can get some proper answers for you, however I cannot promise that they will be here really fast.

Question number 9 has been forwarded to the developers before and is being addressed in this thread:
http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html?topicId=45555308&pageNo=2&sid=1#23
#109 - Nov. 23, 2006, 1:51 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Hello everybody :-)

I just wanted to let you know that we have not forgotten about this thread, and that we should have some nice feedback available for you soon :-)
#117 - Nov. 23, 2006, 4:40 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Hi everybody :-)

We have some answers for you regarding the two first questions about consumables and weapon procs in forms, which is currently one of the major issues you have been posting about recently:

Q u o t e:

The fact that Druids in the beta test could use consumables and items while being shapeshifted was a bug. It was an unforeseen side effect of the original intent, which was to allow for Druids to interact with NPCs while being shapeshifted.

However, the developers do like the idea of consumables being used while in Druid forms, but the above mentioned bug prevented a proper implementation of this ability, which would otherwise allow shapeshifted Druids to use certain consumables such as Rage and Healing Potions, Thistle Tea and Healthstones. The developers are currently evaluating which items they want Druids to be able to use while in forms, and as soon as all issues are resolved, it will be reintroduced into the game.

Q u o t e:

2- Weapon procs in feral

Similarly with the use of consumables while being shapeshifted, the developers like the idea of allowing weapons with procs to be used by Druids being in forms. As with consumables, they developers are currently evaluating which weapons with procs should be usable by shapeshifted druids. When the evaluation is complete and all possible issues have been resolved, this will be introduced to the game.

That is it for now, but we will hopefully soon have more feedback for you regarding your other questions. :-)
#126 - Nov. 23, 2006, 5:12 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Thanks very much for posting this Vaneras - but bugs don't get the description of rage potions being altered to Class: Warrior Druid, and bugs don't add animations of bandaging etc.... I'm afraid I find your answer at odds to the reality.

The developers were playing with the idea of allowing the use of certain consumables in forms at the same time as they were working on allowing druids to interact with NPCs while being in forms. But the consumables in forms ability was not supposed to be available before it was ready and all issues had been resolved and thus was mistakenly implemented to soon. It may sound strange, but it was indeed a bug.

Q u o t e:
Secondly - what reason is there for limiting druids, and only druids to certain consumables and procs - why are we treated as second rate?

I think you are looking at things a bit too pessimistically. The Druids are not a second rate class, but it is very different from other classes in many ways. Compared to what you have access to now of consumables, which is nothing, the Druid class will get greatly improved by getting access to certain consumables while being shapeshifted. Remember that the developers are currently evaluating which consumables you should have access to in certain forms, and it might very well be more than the ones I mentioned earlier.
#194 - Nov. 24, 2006, 2:55 p.m.
Blizzard Post

We just wanted you all to know that some of the questions you have asked in this thread has been answered in other threads:

The information for question number 3, about weapon speed normalization, can be found in this thread:
http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html;jsessionid=63D7F5CD09F7FF2AA24BD6D838B84B67?topicId=74427446&pageNo=9&sid=1#170

The information for question number 4, about shape shifting costs, can be found in this thread:
http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html;jsessionid=63D7F5CD09F7FF2AA24BD6D838B84B67?topicId=61866863&pageNo=2&sid=1#23

The information for question number 7, about Moonkin meelee mechanics, can be found in this thread:
http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html?topicId=43845353&postId=875913593&sid=1#42

The information for question number 8, about parry in forms, can be found in this thread:
http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html;jsessionid=63D7F5CD09F7FF2AA24BD6D838B84B67?topicId=75297651&pageNo=1&sid=1#16

Hopefully we should have some more feedback for you at sometime next week :-)
#198 - Nov. 24, 2006, 3:24 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Original post Edited.

Vaneras i would like to point out that we still miss the answer to cat form range issue, and as of now i think its the biggest issue all feral have at the moment.

I know, but since the cat form range issue part was added to the original question after we had requested feedback from the developers, it might take a while still before we have available info on that matter :-)

Q u o t e:
CHeers and thanks again for the attention that was given to this thread.

:-)
#202 - Nov. 24, 2006, 3:49 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Dear Vaneras, i beg to differ on this little issue ;) cat form bugs/issues have been reported and asked for nearly 2 years now ;) There's been videos made, dozens of threads and questions posted about it, etc.

I am aware of this, but nonetheless we have no real information about this that we can give you at this time.

Q u o t e:
But ofc we will all wait for the answers to come, you certainly delivered them so far, recently in the past week has been the "role model" for custommer support. Blizzard always made fabulous games, its about time to raise the bar in custommer support like this, "gratz" on that.

Well we have received quite a lot of nice information for you all these last few days, which for sure is only a good thing :-)
#247 - Nov. 28, 2006, 9:22 a.m.
Blizzard Post
We just got some developer feedback regarding the 5th question :-)

Q u o t e:

The developers felt that the Imp LOTP talent was too strong due to the increased health pool sizes in the Burning Crusade. Given the fact that bear tank health totals of 15000 or more, the Improved Leader of the Pack talent can be used to heal over 3000 health per minute, for just the bear, let alone the rest of the party, mana free. It is very similar in strength to Judgement of Light, but never wears off, costs nothing to apply, and will scale as players get better gear, unlike Judgement of Light.

If the developers find that feral combat Druids are actually non-viable in raids, they will find ways to improve them as necessary. This goes for all new talent specs that were previously underutilized such as the Retribution or Protection Paladin, the Elemental or Enhancement Shaman, etc.
#249 - Nov. 28, 2006, 9:30 a.m.
Blizzard Post
The 9th question about the "Epic" feel has been addressed in this thread:
http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html?topicId=45555308&postId=886716538&sid=1#145

That is all for now folks. I know there is still a few answers missing, but we should hopefully have those for you soon :-)
#287 - Nov. 30, 2006, 1:59 p.m.
Blizzard Post

We have some more feedback for you, so here we go:

Question 6 - Tree of Life:
Q u o t e:
I could write a single gigantic post around this one... but i'll keep it short. Why in fact the reduction in speed? To make it less viable in pvp because it could unbalance group pvp or for "lore" reasons meaning that a tree should run slower? Taking the usease of Healing touch in the final tier 41 talent while at least 10 talents points before buff healing touch seems rather strange, why remove healing touch from the tree of life, because the -20% cost on healing touch could make it overpowered? In sum, can you please explain why this two limitation to this form while Shadow priests and moonkin only lose access to a certain "tree" of spells ? (generaly ppl sugest that you could only cast resto spells in this form)

These limitations are a cost issue. The developers do not want the Tree of Life to be better in all ways at what the restoration Druid is already doing. They want there to be a time and place for the Tree of Life and still have a compelling reason to shift out of the form. The movement speed penalty and the inability to use healing touch in that form is a part of that reason.

Question 10 - Blizzards expectations and thoughts of the Druid class:
Q u o t e:

As with many classes, the developers have made many talent/gear paths available for the Druid class, but ultimately they want Druids to be classical hybrids. They want them to specialize to a point and still be flexible enough to perform adequately in other roles when it is required. Recent changes have been geared towards improving that hybridization viability.

If you have followed the itemization closely in the Burning Crusade, you will see that the developers are itemizing all hybrids for making them able to follow any of the paths available to them in their talent trees. Druids, Paladins, and Shamans should all be able to choose from different specializations now, and have the itemization support they need to make it possible. Internal testing shows that the hybrid classes are able to perform nearly as well as the primary classes for each role, and yet retain the utility to change roles midway through a fight or raid as needed.

That is all the feedback we have for now, but not to worry... We have not forgotten about the Cat Range issue and the Banishable Tree of Life issue. We will let you know as soon as we get any feedback on these things. :-)
#344 - Dec. 18, 2006, 1:41 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Still waiting for a couple of answers, especialy the cat form range issue.

I know, I know...

Still waiting for the feedback on this, but as you might guess, things are a little hectic these days and the developers are quite busy finishing and preparing for the release of the Burning Crusade. :-)