Insanely bad lag

#1 - April 27, 2011, 10:31 a.m.
Blizzard Post
After patch 4.1 has hit I've been lagging ridiculously hard whenever any combat actions take place. The game seems to be running rather smoothly until I decide to cast a heal or attack something. Even with all my addons disabled, this problem persists.

Is anyone else having issues like this? If so, have you been able to resolve them, and how?
Forum Avatar
Support Forum Agent
#10 - April 28, 2011, 10:06 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Hey all. Your instincts are good, but you're not taking it far enough. Just disabling a broken addon doesn't stop it from running its processes, nor does it fix any game file damage it may have already caused. You gotta nuke it from orbit! : )

I've included both Reset UI and Repair instructions below. Please follow both in order, and then play-test before reinstalling any addons you use to make sure we get a clean test. Thanks!

RESET UI

Windows XP
-Click the Start button, select Programs, select Accessories and select Windows Explorer.
-In the new window click the + beside the My Computer option, this should expand a list.
-Click the + beside the Hard Disk with the (C:) label on the end (Or whichever Hard Disk the game was installed on).
-Click the + beside Program Files.
-Scroll down until you find World of Warcraft in the list and double click it.
-In the panel on the right there should be a list of files and folders, the WTF, CACHE, and INTERFACE folders should be in this list.
-Single click one of those folders and it should become highlighted, once that folder is highlighted press the Delete key on your keyboard. Do this for all three folders.
-Once the three folders have been deleted you can close Windows Explorer.
-Start the game again using the World of Warcraft Launcher to see if this helps resolve your issue.

-Note: Please briefly test your issue before reinstalling any addons.

Windows Vista/7
-Click the Start button, select All Programs, select Accessories and select Windows Explorer.
-In the new window click the + beside the My Computer option, this should expand a list.
-Click the + beside the Hard Disk with the (C:) label on the end (Or whichever Hard Disk the game was installed on).
-Click the + beside Program Files.
-Scroll down until you find World of Warcraft in the list and double click it.
-In the panel on the right there should be a list of files and folders, the WTF, CACHE, and INTERFACE folders should be in this list.
-Single click one of those folders and it should become highlighted, once that folder is highlighted press the Delete key on your keyboard. Do this for all three folders.

Mac OS X
-Click on the desktop and then the Go menu on the top.
-Click Applications.
-Scroll down to World of Warcraft and select it.
-Right-click (Control+click if you own a 1-button mouse) on the Cache folder and select Move to Trash.
-Perform the above step for the Interface and WTF folder as well.
-Double-click the World of Warcraft application to launch the game and verify if the issue has been resolved.

REPAIR TOOL

The Repair tool can often be accessed in your Start menu under World of Warcraft. Otherwise, the Repair.exe file should be located in your World of Warcraft directory (example C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Repair.exe or C:\Users\Public\Games\World of Warcraft\Repair.exe for some Vista and 7 users).

If this file is not present you can download the latest version at: http://ftp.blizzard.com/pub/WoW/other/Repair.zip . Be sure to unzip the file into your World of Warcraft directory and run it from there.

Is your issue urgent? Need direct assistance? Contact an Accounts and Technical Services Rep! http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/about/contact.html

Good luck with the issue, and good gaming!