4.1 horse animation change (rocking horse)

#1 - April 27, 2011, 6:40 p.m.
Blizzard Post
As I'm sure many of you have noticed, blizz goofed with the new horse animation. I'm being forced to retire my hard-earned spectral steed for a chopper, and I'm not all too pleased about it. Different races are effected more dramatically than others, and mine is one of the worst.

While riding your horse mount, your character will rock violently back and forth as they ride, making you look like a rocking horse. I don't know what whoever made this change was thinking, but just let me say it is terrible. Please give us back our dignity as we ride our horse mounts, I would very much like to ride my spectral steed again... I'm sure the community agrees it looks outragous.

Change it back.. Do it!

Edit: typo fixes.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#4 - April 28, 2011, 1:45 a.m.
Blizzard Post
As I'm sure many or you have noticed, blizz goofed with the new horse animation. I'm being forced to retire my hard-earned spectral steed for a chopper, and I'm not all too pleased about it. Different races are effected more dramatically than others, and mine is one of the worst.

While riding your horse mount, your character will rock violently back and forth as they ride, making you look like a rocking horse. I don't know what whoever made this change was thinking, but just let me say it is terrible. Please give us back our dignity as we ride out horse mounts, I would very much like to ride my spectral steed again... I'm sure the community agrees it looks outragous.

Change it back.. Do it!

Not to worry, riding horses won't be a concussion risk forever. This is just a bug, and one that we'd like to resolve as soon as it is practical to do so.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#13 - April 28, 2011, 1:53 a.m.
Blizzard Post
04/27/2011 06:48 PMPosted by Stasia
So I have to ask.. when you guys do things in a patch that has NOTHING to do with mounts, how is it mounts end up getting messed up? It's not like this is the first of several times something like this has happened.

It's possible for a small change to have far reaching and unanticipated consequences. Sometimes you resolve one issue, only to be confronted with another.

Contrary to popular belief, this isn't easy.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#31 - April 28, 2011, 2:14 a.m.
Blizzard Post
04/27/2011 07:03 PMPosted by Eveserr
Howbout we skip asthetic bugs and work on stuff that matters, like pvp ques, dk bug, and other much more important things

Oh, you mean prioritize tasks? We do that. Of course, some aesthetic issues are very important to players too, and prioritizing tasks is always a balancing act. Simply because something doesn't matter to you, doesn't mean that it isn't important to someone else. Obviously, high profile issues, or those that have the potential to affect the gameplay of many are high priority, but they're not always easy to resolve. Sometimes they can be hotfixed, and sometimes that's simply not an option for technical reasons. Even if they're at the top of the list, they might take longer to resolve because they're more complex. Sometimes there are issues that we'd like to resolve that get set back a bit precisely because there are more "important" things to tackle first. Or, maybe something isn't a bug at all, and requires quite a bit of thought to find a resolution for. Or we disagree that it 'needs fixed'.

One way or another, when they do arise we try to tackle both large and small issues in the most efficient and sensible possible manner. Thanks for the suggestion though, I'm sure it was very helpful.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#46 - April 27, 2011, 7:58 p.m.
Blizzard Post
04/27/2011 07:43 PMPosted by Medk
Issues should be prioritized, and they are, this is probably a different department than say the feral druids can shred 100 times in a row without losing energy department.

That should be hot fixed now, by the way.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#51 - April 27, 2011, 8:53 p.m.
Blizzard Post
04/27/2011 08:50 PMPosted by Necronom
I think a better question would be how we can go through a month or two of PTR's and stuff like this still happens.

Because World of Warcraft is mind bogglingly complex and the PTR testing process can't possibly hope to match all the factors in play on live realms. We've offered much more detailed explanations than this in the past, but that sums it up.