Should druids roll on flying mounts?

#0 - March 18, 2010, 7:19 p.m.
Blizzard Post
TLDR at bottom

The other night, reins of the blue proto-drake dropped in my random PUG. My friend, who is a fresh 80 druid and relatively new to the game, saw everyone clicking need on the item, figured it was the expected course of action, and followed suit. She ended up winning. The rest of us, albeit exasperated that we had lost a chance at such a rare mount, gave her a round of envious “grats” and went on to our business.

The rogue, however, was not so happy. She complained that my friend, being a druid, had no need of a mount because she had flight form. She then went on a long tirade about how she herself had passed on Ashes of A'lar on her druid and how the only thing my friend would ever use the mount for was showing off outside of Dalaran.

My friend and I just kind of kept our mouths shut throughout this scolding, we didn’t want any drama and at this point, just wanted to finish the dungeon. Thankfully, the rogue finished and we managed to clear the rest of the instance without any wipes or further arguments.

I could honestly see the Rogue’s point. After all, the rest of us were probably going to get more use out of the mount than my friend was. My druid friend would probably use it only when she wanted to look cool. However, isn’t that what most mounts are used for anyway? The only difference between a red proto drake and a blue gryphon is a cosmetic change. You simply bring one or the other out to look cool. If that’s the case, then is any class more deserving of a cosmetic item than the other?

Finally, druids like mounts just as much as the rest of us. These items are a mark of achievement and often (as in this case) sheer dumb luck. We bring out mounts to show how lucky we are, to show what we’ve achieved, and to differentiate our characters. Should druids be excluded from this angle of the game’s culture because they have a mechanic that is more efficient than these vanity items?

TLDR: What do you think? Would you be angry if a druid won a roll over you? Would you roll on such an item if you were a druid? Are classes with free mounts and travel forms not allowed to roll on rare mounts?
#92 - March 18, 2010, 9:54 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
TLDR at bottom

The other night, reins of the blue proto-drake dropped in my random PUG. My friend, who is a fresh 80 druid and relatively new to the game, saw everyone clicking need on the item, figured it was the expected course of action, and followed suit. She ended up winning. The rest of us, albeit exasperated that we had lost a chance at such a rare mount, gave her a round of envious “grats” and went on to our business.

The rogue, however, was not so happy. She complained that my friend, being a druid, had no need of a mount because she had flight form. She then went on a long tirade about how she herself had passed on Ashes of A'lar on her druid and how the only thing my friend would ever use the mount for was showing off outside of Dalaran.

My friend and I just kind of kept our mouths shut throughout this scolding, we didn’t want any drama and at this point, just wanted to finish the dungeon. Thankfully, the rogue finished and we managed to clear the rest of the instance without any wipes or further arguments.

I could honestly see the Rogue’s point. After all, the rest of us were probably going to get more use out of the mount than my friend was. My druid friend would probably use it only when she wanted to look cool. However, isn’t that what most mounts are used for anyway? The only difference between a red proto drake and a blue gryphon is a cosmetic change. You simply bring one or the other out to look cool. If that’s the case, then is any class more deserving of a cosmetic item than the other?

Finally, druids like mounts just as much as the rest of us. These items are a mark of achievement and often (as in this case) sheer dumb luck. We bring out mounts to show how lucky we are, to show what we’ve achieved, and to differentiate our characters. Should druids be excluded from this angle of the game’s culture because they have a mechanic that is more efficient than these vanity items?

TLDR: What do you think? Would you be angry if a druid won a roll over you? Would you roll on such an item if you were a druid? Are classes with free mounts and travel forms not allowed to roll on rare mounts?

Every class has access to a mount without having to rely on luck or skill. If a mount drops in a dungeon, the druid has the same right to it as a rogue, or anyone else.