WTB Incubus. No, not the terrible band.

#1 - April 12, 2011, 6:39 a.m.
Blizzard Post
So, I have a question to throw at the WoW dev team and the community. Maybe some will agree with me, I am sure many others of different backgrounds will not. Here is my shot in the dark.

I am going to open this with a simple statement. I am gay. I know that is sometimes a big deal here in this game, where it seems to be mainly male dominated and, sadly, mainly hetero.

Back to my point.

What I wanted to possibly fire at the dev team is this: I have been leveling an affliction warlock over the course of the past 48 hours. He is currently level 44, since sleep and eating and spending time with the other half are kinda important, else he'd be 60. He is a dwarf. Me, being the gay guy that I am, really dont like staring at something of the female gender all day. Its not very appealing to me. I am not saying this has to be viewed in a very indecently skewed manner. This is no different than a hunter wanting a pretty pet, or a specific pet skin because it looks "b.a.".

To give slightly further background I do not play any female toons. Why should I? I play male toons because I am male and I prefer to represent myself as a male and I prefer to look at males. I know my example of the BM hunter can be sort of misconstrued because you could say "But Detraxi, how in the world can you say that when pets are meant to be genderless!" Well thats true. There is no discernible "object" on a pets body that allows you to easily determine preset genders, and thats because it is left to the hunters naming and imagination to say whether or not it is male or female. The succubus is OBVIOUSLY female. That little branch of creativity and imagination is taken away from warlocks of the different persuasion, (or female warlocks, for that matter! Those that arent a member of the other persuasion. Otherwise, you ladies have it MADE!) and it shouldn't have been.

What I want to ask, is why does the Succubus (yes, I know, its a female denoted demon.) HAVE to be female? Why cant we have an option, at, say, the level the demon is trainable, to train both a male and female version of it? Or hell, why not introduce a minor glyph? You already have a base model like this in the druid trees to allow their Tree of Life to retain the old treant model. I know that it is an ability glyph and just follows a buff to change the model, yes, but I have faith in your programming staff.

I don't want this thread to be misconstrued as some crazy attempt to over-sexualize an aspect of the game that already has that appeal to it on a very shallow level. I just want to know if this idea is worth trying out.

If you want a spark of where to start, Wrath-Scryer Soccothrates is a WONDERFUL model to start out with.

What is everyones opinion on this? I would love to hear your thoughts. Please, I know part of this touches on sensitive matters, but please, be civil. The mods are watching you.

THEY WATCH EVERY KEY YOU HIT.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#121 - April 14, 2011, 10:49 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I'm happy to share we actually do have plans for offering players a choice between male and female versions of all warlock demons. This is a task already in our system, though I don't have a time frame for you at the moment. Other art tasks could always take precedence, but we're committed to making this happen. :)
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#159 - April 14, 2011, 11:22 p.m.
Blizzard Post
sigh...

cosmetic change to some warlock pets is the last thing warlocks need done to them currently

It's understandable you feel that way. I just ask that you recognize I added the caveat that we don't have a set time frame for doing this -- it's just something our artists are excited about doing. With that said, also recognize that artists don't balance classes, nor will the class balance team be designing new gender models for your demons. ;)