Is this allowed?

#1 - March 27, 2011, 9:14 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Alright, so my friend wants to play WoW, but he refuses to pay for it.

So...I let him play on my account.

But here's the thing. He DOESN'T know my password and he doesn't even know my username to log on with. I refuse to give it to him.

I created a character for him to play on, and he comes over like every other day...I log on for him and he plays for a few hours.

This isn't breaking any rules at all, right? I mean, I logged on myself and it's NOT account sharing. He has NO access to ANY of my personal info at all.

I did, however allow him one character to play with on my account that only he uses.

I guess what I'm asking is, did I find a way around the rules? *shrug*
Forum Avatar
Support Forum Agent
#171 - March 28, 2011, 12:55 a.m.
Blizzard Post
03/27/2011 2:14 PMPosted by Ynnel
This isn't breaking any rules at all, right? I mean, I logged on myself and it's NOT account sharing. He has NO access to ANY of my personal info at all.

As the others expressed, Ynnel, yes, this is violating our Terms of Use. Just because you do not share your access information does not mean you are not considered to be account sharing.

03/27/2011 2:19 PMPosted by Ynnel
Hes doesnt have access to my account. He PLAYS on my account after I log in FOR him. Theres a HUGE difference here.

In your eyes, perhaps, but it is still considered account sharing.

Plus, it seems like he's getting into it. (He went Blood Elf warrior, in case anyone is wondering. Only lvl 13)

See, its cool because it's fun actually teaching someone to play. Kinda feels like my first time all over again. ^_^

That is what trial accounts are for. To allow someone to try the game out and allow you to level with them, show them around, teach them how to play. We have promotions available that give the recruiting and recruited player benefits.

Recruit a Friend FAQ
http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?articleId=20588

https://www.worldofwarcraft.com/account/recruit-a-friend.html

03/27/2011 2:30 PMPosted by Ynnel
Theres NOTHING in the rules against that. Sorry.

Well, while it does not say explicitely the words "account sharing", it does cover it.

The Game is available for use only by authorized end users in accordance with the terms of the Blizzard Agreements.

The word we're focusing on here is, "USE". It does not say the game is available for access only by authorized end users, it says for use.

Bliz never actually made it 100% clear if account sharing includes letting someone PLAY on your account after they log in for you. After all, they cant see a difference in IP's, since it's all at my house. I never gave a password to anyone, so I wont be hacked for it or anything. IMO, it's harmless.

I ask pretty much, because I'm always curious about the gray areas and loopholes.

Generally, those who are "curious" about the gray areas also seem to be looking to do something that is, to most people, considered against the rules. It seems you are only looking for a way to rationalize your violating your agreement, and that doesn't mean you are in the right. You may not find a list of every variation of what could be considered a violation but it isn't usually hard to find our stance on a subject. In this case it is even in the tips that appear on the loading screen.

03/27/2011 2:57 PMPosted by Ynnel
Are the forums always this opinionated!??

You posted asking if something was a violation of Blizzard's policies and then you ignored what everyone has told you and worked to justify what you are doing. The question begs, why did you ask?

We do not allow account sharing for a reason, as it causes are number of issues for the account holder. Could you be caught? Perhaps, perhaps not. The point is, if something is against the rules, it is against the rules. If you don't agree with those rules you have the option of not using the product.

03/27/2011 3:09 PMPosted by Ynnel
Theres no rules like that there

You might want to actually read their Terms of Use, Ynnel, more carefully than you read ours.

03/27/2011 3:23 PMPosted by Ynnel
Besides....EVERYONE has let someone play around on their WoW guys.

No, they really haven't. I'm sure "everyone" appreciates you speaking for them though.

03/27/2011 3:45 PMPosted by Ynnel
Geeze, sorry I wanted to debate some. I thought I was still on General. I really did.

Posting simply to debate isn't appropriate on the General Discussion forum either. While a civil discussion is welcome it really should be constructive, which this really wasn't.

I don't think anything productive can come of reopening this thread so I will keep it locked.