FullShadow aint my thing...So what now?

#0 - Jan. 19, 2007, 5:19 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Im considering very seriously rerolling a priest. At the same time i dont want to dump all my crap into shaodw as i rather take a more mana efficient route and i remember from a priest i played awhile back each fight was very draining on the mana bar. So i want to know a nice low downtime grinding soloing spec to level with.

Any other general priest tips are welcome aswell.

thank you all posters
#14 - Jan. 19, 2007, 3:42 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Im considering very seriously rerolling a priest. At the same time i dont want to dump all my crap into shaodw as i rather take a more mana efficient route and i remember from a priest i played awhile back each fight was very draining on the mana bar. So i want to know a nice low downtime grinding soloing spec to level with.

Any other general priest tips are welcome aswell.

thank you all posters

I did full shadow for a bit and found that as fun as it was, I much prefer a Disc/Shadow combo with the emphasis on Disc on my priest.

It just depends on your style of play and what you feel the most comfortable with.

I know others have gone Disc/Holy as a more support type of character and don't have any particular problems that I've heard of.
#42 - Jan. 19, 2007, 5 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Oh, it's not a threat. It's just an articulation of what it feels like to be a Priest.

I'm not saying Neth would get killed over and over because she's a bad player. I am saying she'd get killed over and over because the Priest class currently has a number of problems, particuarly in the PvP area, as compared to the other, more powerful classes.

I know what it's like to be a priest in PvP. I also know what it's like to work with others in PvP and how that changes my dynamic. Of course no one likes to die but you have to sometimes think to yourself "Woohoo! I lived 10 seconds longer with 5 people hitting me with everything they have." In fact I was in a fight in WSG the one day and ended up being the last person standing with about 5-6 enemies standing around me hitting me before I went down. I also know what it's like to be three shotted and how frustrating that can be.

I understand the frustration that people feel but priests are always going to be targets and usually first targets. No one likes having healers heal the person they are trying to kill.

As I've said before, we all read the forums and do what we can to gather information and forward it on. We're not ignoring anyone but sometimes we just don't have any answers we can give anyone and even when we do, sometimes people don't want to take them for what they are.

I just thought I'd share some of my experiences with people here.

Btw, to the person that said they've noticed blackout proccing more, I've always had it proc quite a bit. It can be very handy in giving you that brief breather you need to heal or just regen mana. :)
#63 - Jan. 19, 2007, 6:16 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

I'm not sure I see how you would live 10 seconds longer with 5-6 people hitting you as a disc/shadow build. Does that mean you only have 10 pts in shadow (cause pain suppression seems to me the only thing that would help with that) or are you already lvl 70 on an internal server? Even with PS, I don't see how it's possible.

10 seconds was an exaggeration. ;) It sure SEEMED like that long though. Yes, I pulled out Pain Suppression and used it.
#71 - Jan. 19, 2007, 6:34 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

And not one of your opponents dispelled? That's lucky. Very lucky. And rare.

I have yet to have anyone bother to dispel it save perhaps once. Many people tend to forget to dispel and not everyone CAN dispel it, so timing and opponents matter.
#116 - Jan. 20, 2007, 12:22 a.m.
Blizzard Post
I understand what you are saying and I'll of course pass along what you are saying. I can see the different perspectives being put out in this regard. Just remember, I can only pass the word along and continue to do so. I've also said many times that my experiences will differ from some people obviously. I do tend to PvP in groups when I can. It's more fun for me.

I mostly popped in to share how I'm set up. BTW... I do remember the holy priest discussions and also know that more recently I've heard more people saying they love the spec. So by me continuing to read here, I get to learn if something changed or it's just another person's playstyle fitting in well with the spec. I know what fits my playstyle but also know it doesn't fit everyone thus why I don't commonly try to tell others how to play but share how I play to give insight.
#165 - Jan. 22, 2007, 4:57 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Yet more evidence that Neth has never actually played a Priest. Do the CMs seriously think that players aren't going to be able to see through blatantly transparent BS like that?

I'm willing to bet that I've played a priest longer than most on this forum. As I've said, my experiences are my own and I realize are not the totality of everyone's experiences.

As to my spec, I'm still playing around with things but I'm probably far deeper into disc than most people and only have probably 6 in shadow. (Yes, I realize people will say I'm gimping myself but so far it's been working for me.) I'll probably respec more than once as I get to 70 and even after depending how what I decide to focus on.
#167 - Jan. 22, 2007, 5:18 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
That is a very odd spec. What dmg spells are you using if you only have 6 points in Shadow?

Yes, I know it's odd. ;) I like to experiment with different things and tend to be a bit unconventional so that I can see if there is something that comes out of it that can be applied in new ways. I've even been experimenting with different pieces of gear to see if less of one thing and more of another works better for me. I'm running out of bag space. :(

Sometimes I'll open with Holy Fire, toss on SW:P and then use Mind Blast and Smite with the Reflective Shield to do damage and keep me from taking any as well. Depending on how I feel the fight is going, I'll use a wand to conserve mana. I also have been trying out SW:Death and found it effective for runners. I can kill fairly effectively in most situations. Every now and then I bite off more than I can chew but that's part of the process. I've always been the sort to push the limits and do what others say can't be done. Telling me something is impossible generally makes me want to do it just to see if I can prove someone wrong.

As I've said, I'm experimenting and wouldn't necessarily hand out my spec for everyone. It's working for me so far and will get adjustments here and there.