World of Jerkcraft

#1 - March 14, 2011, 10:59 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I am sure plenty will feel this has all been said before, but I think it cannot be said enough.

Blizzard really needs to take a step-up on the community quality control. It really is getting out of hand, and as a company Blizzard needs to step up to the plate. As of right now, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of rules on player behavior and a whole lot of rough guidelines on how they'd like you to act.

Here's a short list of issues I've seen both personally and have seen MANY complaints over:

Players with faster racials intentionally following others and taking their resources.

Players "stealing" resource nodes from others who are fighting the guardian.

Players making racist/strongly offensive remarks in-game

Players Need rolling on items they cannot use, even on items that are not "BoE".

Players insulting/harassing others based on gear, level, achievements, or any number of petty in-game statuses

Players forming partial dungeon groups with the intent of ruining the experience for "random puggers" (A step has been taken on those who /votekick the lone player repeatedly)

There are more I am sure, but these are the most common I see. Some of these are more severe than others, but even particularly bad ones such as the racist remarks that get tossed around are netting nothing more than 3-hour bans if anything at all.

In-game Game Masters seem to be of nearly no help at all. I've petitioned against every one of these I've listed, and the response has always been: "We have received the player name and will be looking into the issue."

This is absolutely no help at all, and I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels brushed aside. Maybe the Game Masters ARE too busy for seemingly minor things like this. But that doesn't change the fact that is VERY widespread and common, and I feel damages the spirit and community of this game. These behaviors shouldn't even be considered acceptable, there is no neutral to positive benefit socially.

As it stands, we as players are virtually powerless. The only thing we can do is continue to submit reports in seeming futility, and to do our best to be better examples and improve the community through our own actions.
Post your thoughts, other issues you see a lot. Bump this thread, vote to sticky it, whatever. These issues need to be brought to light, repeatedly, until Blizzard not just acknowledges it but takes steps to mend it as well.
Forum Avatar
Support Forum Agent
#43 - March 14, 2011, 11:42 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Temporarily locked while I catch up.
Forum Avatar
Support Forum Agent
#44 - March 15, 2011, 12:49 a.m.
Blizzard Post
03/14/2011 3:59 PMPosted by Bawlez
Blizzard really needs to take a step-up on the community quality control. It really is getting out of hand, and as a company Blizzard needs to step up to the plate. As of right now, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of rules on player behavior and a whole lot of rough guidelines on how they'd like you to act.

That isn't true, there are a vast number of policies in place that govern many aspects of the game but this is still a social game, many aspects of player interaction we are simply unable to intervene on.

Players with faster racials intentionally following others and taking their resources.

Players "stealing" resource nodes from others who are fighting the guardian.

Nodes are on a first come first get basis, that is how they work. There is nearly always a competition for them and people use what advantages they can. Many gatherers are polite they tend to share an area but that is their choice.

Players making racist/strongly offensive remarks in-game

Which can and should be reported via an in-game petition. Including the person's name and realm if it took place in a cross realm instance/battleground, and if possible a sample of the offending remark (i.e. X person said Y in Trade chat).

Players Need rolling on items they cannot use, even on items that are not "BoE".

If they cannot use it, they should not be able to roll Need on the item. The ability to roll on an item is determined by if a class is able to use it, not if that item is considered an upgrade or for a particular spec. The system does not look at current spec.

Players insulting/harassing others based on gear, level, achievements, or any number of petty in-game statuses

Yes, people generally use trivialities to tease others, it is the nature of those who need to belittle others and make themselves feel better about their own triviality. Sticks and stones.

If someone violates our policies, using inappropriate language or subject matter submit a petition and our In-Game Support staff will investigate the incident and take appropriate actions. Beyond that, calling someone a noob or saying their gear "sucks", is not generally something that we become involved in.

Players forming partial dungeon groups with the intent of ruining the experience for "random puggers" (A step has been taken on those who /votekick the lone player repeatedly)

We are always working to improve the Dungeon Finder system. If you would like to provide your feedback on the system I'd recommend posting constructively in the Dungeons and Raids forum.

03/14/2011 4:04 PMPosted by Bawlez
In a perfect society, we wouldn't need Game Masters to force players to "play nice." But that is not how online communities work. Yes, we do need rules. But those rules come with the necessity for enforcement as well, otherwise they may as well be a rough code of ethics.

I'm sorry but we aren't teachers, parents, babysitters or the etiquette police or able to function as them. Those tips are there to remind people that they create the environment they play in. While we do address violations of the Terms of Use that we have put forth, if such actions are properly reported to us, it is generally up to the individual realm to determine what type of behavior is or is not acceptable.

03/14/2011 4:09 PMPosted by Bawlez
This kind of behavior does involve everyone, because it degrades the community as a whole. Who you allow yourself to be around has a profound effect on your own behavior.

Yes, and as a community the environment will only truly improve when those in the the community work together to do something about it. I've noticed a lot of people simply do not report possible violations. Someone may shout "Reported" to a person who used profanity but they don't actually submit a petition. That often does more harm as the person who believes they are reported is then waiting to be contacted by a Game Master for their actions. When that doesn't occur they may believe that the behavior is permitted or as some mistakenly believe, that the Mature Language filter is an excuse for the use of such language.

Those who also believed that the person was reported may later see that person doing the same thing and think that "Blizzard doesn't care", so they don't bother to report either.

My only advice is to report, even if you think someone else is doing so as well, report.

03/14/2011 4:13 PMPosted by Bawlez
The first step would be to eliminate the copy/paste answers in GM tickets. One can only wonder how much effort an issue was given, when the pasted response does not even address the issue petitioned about.

It doesn't? You reported a person's activities. You provided their name, their actions and your suspicions. The Game Master's response let you know that they would look into the character you reported and take the appropriate actions. Now taking your node, as I stated is not a violation, as you do not have ownership on a node. The other suspicion, as stated, will be investigated.

How does that not relate? We take account privacy very seriously and therefore will not provide you or anyone else with the outcome of an investigation. That is between us and the person reported.

Now, while I understand your frustration with this particular issue looking into your petition history, it is fairly sparse. You have not actually reported any possible violations of our policies on this account, outside of that recent report, for over 182 days.

A basic overview of our harassment policies can be found in the following Support Article.

http://us.blizzard.com/support/article/20455

While there will always be those who feel it necessary to act like a jerk, using the tools available to you can help improve the environment you play in.

Edit: I've decided to leave the thread locked as further discussion in this thread would not necessarily be productive.