"Baby steps" and priest changes

#0 - July 10, 2007, 1:33 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Just a little nudge....

Q u o t e:
Circle of Healing and Lightwell Concerns
We have made some changes in the recent patch to Circle of Healing and are still waiting to see the results of changes. We are taking things in baby steps and making changes a little at a time so that we can build on changes as we feel they need to be made. Lightwell is also still within this vein of thinking as well.

So these baby steps, has anyone learned to take their 1st step yet? Do you have some "results" to share with the priest community regarding these changes you made? It`s been 2-3months now and not a peep of information. The numbers of priests choosing these core talents really do speak for themselves

Q u o t e:
Priest Racials
Priest racials are going to be looked at sometime in the future. We do not have immediate plans to make changes at this point in time.

It is now the future, do you plan to have another look at this when most priests are suggesting that a choice of racials would be the best course of action.

Q u o t e:
Moving Divine Spirit to Holy
It only takes one priest in a raid to have it for players to get the benefit. We feel that having these sorts of decisions available to players is optimal for how we want it to be.

An awful and poorly thought out response when I 1st read it 3months ago. Most guilds do use the option of "it only takes one priest in the raid to have it" and unfortunately take it to the letter and invite only 1 holy priest anyway. Paladins are still superior healers even after the Paly "nerf" to make priests better because you don't know how to improve "the main" healing class.

Q u o t e:
Priest Healing Concerns
We're fairly happy with where healing is at current. We've made some recent changes to things like Binding Heal and Circle of Healing and will continue to assess the impact of these changes as we go

Listen to your players, most priests arn't happy with their current state of healing, need I say more.
I know and understand that balancing classes in the game will always be tough and a long haul of merging ideas, programming and developing but it would be nice to share some of the thinking processes that go into some changes :)

As a final point I would like to say how appalled I am at the lack of overall blue responses that occur in the class sections for all classes. You really do know how to make players feel that any of their suggestions or comments are just dust in the wind. All we ask is you be a little more positive and active with postings :)

#19 - July 10, 2007, 5:28 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Just a little nudge....

Okidoki :-)

Q u o t e:
So these baby steps, has anyone learned to take their 1st step yet? Do you have some "results" to share with the priest community regarding these changes you made? It`s been 2-3months now and not a peep of information. The numbers of priests choosing these core talents really do speak for themselves

I am afraid to say that we have no new real updates on this. The developers have not forgotten about this, but it is still too early to say what they are doing when talking about taking the next step, be it another baby step or a giant leap. We have requested more feedback on this and we will let you know as soon as we have more information available.

Q u o t e:
It is now the future, do you plan to have another look at this when most priests are suggesting that a choice of racials would be the best course of action.

I unfortunately do not have much to comment on this, but I would just like to confirm that we have forwarded several good suggestions from players in regards to this topic. We cannot yet say if the developers will agree to those suggestions being the best course of action.

Q u o t e:
An awful and poorly thought out response when I 1st read it 3months ago. Most guilds do use the option of "it only takes one priest in the raid to have it" and unfortunately take it to the letter and invite only 1 holy priest anyway. Paladins are still superior healers even after the Paly "nerf" to make priests better because you don't know how to improve "the main" healing class.

You might think that "it only takes one priest in the raid to have it" is a poor response, but it is true nonetheless... But that should not be interpreted as a rule stating that you should only bring one Holy Priest with you for raiding, because the philosophy behind it was to allow for more openness and more choices and less pigeon-holing of classes. Basically to give the raid more combination choices when considering what healing classes with what talent builds to bring. We can hopefully agree that bringing several healers of different classes is more powerful and more efficient than bringing several healers of just one class.

Whether or not Paladins are superior healers is an entirely different discussion, but Paladins can indeed serve as very good healers, which of course is intended. In my opinion Priest are still the best healers in the game, when that has been said however I think that it is harder to heal efficiently as a Priest than healing as a Paladin.

I guess what I am trying to say is that we can agree that Holy Priests have some issues that need to be addressed, and preferably soon... The difficulty here though can perhaps be boiled down to whether or not the developers sense of urgency and priority are the same as yours, because you are understandably focussing primarily on the issues with the Priest class since those are the issues affecting you the most, whereas the developers are focussing on the game overall, meaning that there might be other issues that are more pressing to them at this point in time.

Q u o t e:
Listen to your players, most priests arn't happy with their current state of healing, need I say more.
I know and understand that balancing classes in the game will always be tough and a long haul of merging ideas, programming and developing but it would be nice to share some of the thinking processes that go into some changes :)

Point taken. We are of course constantly trying to improve ourselves in anyway we can, and we will try to improve on posting more feedback from the developers. You are indeed correct when you say that balancing a continuously evolving game is not an easy or simple task, but I can agree that we should at least attempt to post more about what is going on behind the scenes :-)

Q u o t e:
As a final point I would like to say how appalled I am at the lack of overall blue responses that occur in the class sections for all classes. You really do know how to make players feel that any of their suggestions or comments are just dust in the wind. All we ask is you be a little more positive and active with postings :)

We are aware that our visibility has been lacking for some time, for which there are several reasons, but hopefully that should be a thing of the past. As I said above, we will attempt to be more visible from now on :-)
#56 - July 10, 2007, 7:58 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
first off it's nice to finally see a blue in these forums, but why has it taken so long? priest healing in raids has been broken for ages, and it's not like we haven't been saying it

We have been quite busy with some of our more invisible work tasks recently for various reasons, which I won't bore you with any further, but this is pretty much why you haven't seen many blue posts recently. Hopefully that is something of the past now and we will try to be more visible from now on so you guys will feel less like you are being left alone :-)

In regards to the Priest class being broken; I think that is somewhat of an exaggeration. When you use the word 'broken', then to me it sounds like you are saying that Holy Priests are unplayable and therefore useless. I do not agree with that at all... Holy Priests still heal well, however they might not seem as 'wanted' in raids as they once were at an earlier time. I do agree with you that Holy Priests have some issues that needs to be addressed, which of course should not be denied or trivialised :-)

Q u o t e:
ok, here's the absolute crux of ALL the problems with the priest as a healer. first off, rightly or wrongly i'm going to take this statement as what Blizzard, and not just Vaneras, thinks about about the priest as a healer. im doing this because this is the only blue reply we've had here for months

Please do not take my personal views and opinions for being the same as the official views and opinion of Blizzard. When I post that something is my opinion or my personal view, then I try my best to make it clear that it is just my opinion after all... I do this because it is my opinion and not Blizzards. My views and opinions are not as important as those of the developers or those of you the players, which is something that I would like to make very clear.

When I post about my own personal views and opinions in one of my posts, then it is because I try to make one or more points or because I want to bring new life or energy to a thread. I also at times post my personal opinions and views to encourage or to provoke more and/or different response and replies or even just for the sake of discussing the topic at hand. When something is Blizzard's official view or opinion, then that will be said very clearly.

But perhaps that is one of the curses of posting in blue, people put more weight and meaning in ones words than is sometimes intended. Please let me know if you think that I am not clear enough when I attempt to distinguish between my personal opinions or those of Blizzard and the developers.

Q u o t e:
it doesn't matter if you think priests are still the best healers

it doesn't matter if i think priests are still the best healers

hell, it doesn't matter if every single priest on every single server in the whole world thinks priests are still the best healers

why? because we never get more than one spot in a decent raid and we're lucky to get into a 5-man at all! so please, for the love of god, take your collective heads out of the sand, and make us be seen as the best healers again. we're priests for god's sake! not hybrids, not even meant to be dps, but healers.

We hear you and your concerns have been forwarded.

Q u o t e:
please, just make us relevant

Here is where I repeat that the developers are still looking into addressing the Holy Priest issues, and where I also apologize for not having any new feedback available for you.

Concerns and requests for more feedback have been forwarded :-)
#58 - July 10, 2007, 8:01 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

A blue poster just told you to l2p.

I most certainly did not. I merely said that I find the Priest to be a better healer, however I think that it is easier to heal as a Paladin.

Please try not to over-interpret the things I say :-)

Q u o t e:
<3 Vaneras.

<3 you too :-)
#61 - July 10, 2007, 8:05 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
can i just say for the sake of this thread:

trolls keep away. this is the first blue post we've had for ages and we need this discussion

I understand some of those "trolls" though. Some people lash out and vent when they are frustrated, which I think is what has happened in this thread so far.

But yes, let's please try to keep it somewhat constructive :-)

Q u o t e:
vaneras, it would be great if you could give feedback on our feedback, so we can give more feedback etc etc

We will try to improve on that, and also in other threads than just this one :-)

Q u o t e:
what i'm trying to say is can we make this a proper discussion please? (and not that one post of yours the only one)

By all means... I might not be posting as frequently as you would like, but I will be following this particular discussion for sure.
#63 - July 10, 2007, 8:16 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Imo volucer as class reprasentative instead of vaneras or who ever, atleast he knows whats wrong with us ^^

There are no official class representatives or class CMs , just so you know.

But feel free to nominate another player to be your 'spokes person' if you feel that that person is very good at voicing your collective concerns and thoughts.

I both accept and perfectly understand if you and others find me 'useless' or 'ignorant', because I do tend to not agree with people who likes to exaggerate and over-dramatise things to make their problems seem bigger than they really are. But please rest assured that I read and forward your concerns and suggestions regardless of my personal views and opinions.
#302 - July 26, 2007, 11:02 a.m.
Blizzard Post
This discussion still seems quite relevant, so I have increased the post limit cap to allow for more posts.

Happy posting everybody :-)