Will my pet ever ride besides me again?

#0 - Sept. 10, 2007, 9 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I always thought the quick fix was just that - a quick fix. I've seen no mention of a permanent fix.

When will you fix it so our pets can ride beside us once more?
#6 - Sept. 10, 2007, 9:58 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Having the pet disappear when mounted resolved a number of issues people were experiencing and we are happy with how it has been working. No one likes an exhausted pet, so this way the pet shows up by your side and is ready to growl, bite, cleave, or torment (among other things) right after you dismount.

There is always a possibility of changing this again, but we currently have no plans to do so.
#57 - Sept. 11, 2007, 12:42 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
1) If you dismount too quickly after mounting, your pet won't be resummoned.

I heard about this before and had someone test it for a few minutes straight and the pet always came back. This sounds like a bug.

Q u o t e:
2) If your pet gives a passive buff, like imp or felhunter, you will be without this buff while mounted. With the imp buff, this means you will suddenly be 90% hp when you dismount even if you were at 100% before. The loss of Paranoia, Soul link, Demonic Knowledge, Demonic Mastery while mounted all have a clear and negative impact on PvP. Mounting shouldn't make you more vulnerable to attack than you would be otherwise.

While I understand that it would be beneficial to have these, I don’t expect a change anytime soon. If you are expecting to be in a situation where you will need these buffs, I recommend to be on your feet and ready to fight. :)

Q u o t e:
3) You can't use dark pact on your pet for a few seconds after summoning. The game will not let you cast this ability until the pet scaling restores your pets mana/hp to wherever it's supposed to be. Until the game does that (takes a "tick") you cannot use dark pact.

I don’t think taking a second or two to gain mana is a major issue. From my experience in the game, warlocks are able to work their spell rotation around this when they need to use dark pact.

Q u o t e:
4) Your pet stops regenning mana/hp while you're mounted. It could have been 20 minutes since your last fight, and you will dismount and find your pet is useless because he's out of mana. This is obviously crippling to a build that uses the "Dark Pact" ability.

So initially we wanted to prevent pets from having the immediate full health regeneration so we did that. We would like to see pets to regenerate at a normal rate when you are mounted though. We are looking into the possibility of allowing this but we don’t know when or if it will happen.

For the issue of the pet bar disappearing when people dismount in combat, I would check your mods to make sure they are not interfering with anything. If we identify and recreate this as a bug with the default UI, we will look into fixing it.

Overall we feel it is better for the game to have the pet disappear when mounted and we currently have no plans to change this.