The End of an Era

#1 - Feb. 18, 2011, 12:25 a.m.
Blizzard Post
The WoW Community Spotlight has shined on my work, and WoW Insider has interviewed me about it. It's been read, praised, criticized, and discussed since 2006. While only a very small part of the WoW fandom, I like to think it has been an important one.

However, all good things must come to an end.

I am writing this to announce that I am bringing Travels through Azeroth and Outland to a close. There are several reasons for this, the most important of which is my desire to work on original fiction. Also, I think that Cataclysm makes for a fine stopping place.

I haven't been very active on these forums lately, but I used to post a lot on the older ones. Some of you may remember Travels from when it first appeared. For those who are not familiar with it, Travels through Azeroth and Outland is a first-person account of a Forsaken mage's zone-by-zone exploration of the setting.

This travelogue delves into history, ecology, society, and economics, and other qualities that can only be touched on in the game itself. While much of the material is poetic license on my part, I try hard to stay true to the lore. I look at the setting from different vantage points, and get into the psyches (or my interpretations thereof) of the different races and factions in the game. I also cover things like a proposed history of the Holy Light (complete with heresies and schisms), how Zul'drak managed to sustain itself for so long, how technology develops and its effects on the world at large, and the differences between goblin and night elf literary traditions, to name a few examples.

I also posted this in the World's End Tavern, but since the travelogue deals heavily with story, I figured I should mention it here as well. I'm not sure how much overlap there is between the users of the two forums.

The travelogue is not finished yet, but it will be once I finish writing about Icecrown Glacier (which will likely be in March). There will also be a short epilogue.

http://destron.blogspot.com/2007/10/introduction.html

Have fun, and don't hesitate to comment.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#9 - Feb. 18, 2011, 2:53 a.m.
Blizzard Post
CDev wanted me to pass along that they've enjoyed your work so far and wish you well on your future projects. Don't be a stranger!