Feeling cheated about name changes

#1 - Dec. 18, 2010, 1:32 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Around three weeks ago I was forced to have my name changed because it was 'questionable'.
I could argue against that all day but i will not.

However, just today I log in and head to dalaran and there is a horde tauren standing there, with the name I had to change from.

Do some people report names because they want them? and an automated system just forces a name change if enough reports are given?

I can type my old name on the armory search and there are five 80+ and about 20 lowbies having the same name across different servers..

What happened to this 'blacklist' of names? If i cannot have the name I used to how is it that others can get it?
Forum Avatar
Support Forum Agent
#22 - Feb. 17, 2011, 4:01 a.m.
Blizzard Post
02/16/2011 6:50 PMPosted by Huntingdwarf
my hunter was named mekilludead and was forced to change it because it offended someone.

No, you were forced to change it because the name was reported and as the character existed on an RP realm it was found to be in violation of our policies.

Why someone reports something is entirely irrelevant. If the name is not found in violation nothing will happen.

02/16/2011 6:50 PMPosted by Huntingdwarf
that there's 7 others on servers named that.and i looked up ikillu and ikillyou there was over 500 chars and a few guilds also.

Please do not use the Armory as a basis for reporting. What other characters may have the name currently is not a factor in determining if a reporting name is a violating our Terms of Use. We react to the reports we receive, we do not actively police names or go after a name simply because it was reported on a different realm.

You have a character on an RP realm, that realm has specific rules in place and names that fall outside that genre will come under a highly level of scrutiny.

02/16/2011 7:46 PMPosted by Plit
All this makes me wonder, do GM's ever get fired or reprimanded over a bad decision because a player went over their heads and got it reverted, or are GM's untouchable by definition like referees?

All naming decisions are based off of our policies, which is what a Game Master uses to decide of a name should be changed. Understand that our main goal is to remove obviously inappropriate names, beyond that many names fall under a more subjective heading. Names that exist on Roleplay realms can be especially difficult as not all definitions of what is or is not RP is the same. This is why we have an Account Administration Department, to review such decisions. If disputed a name change may be reviewed further and overturned.

The Game Master doesn't get in trouble (as long as they are abiding by the policies they are supposed to follow) and the player isn't "going over their head". These things are in place for a reason.

Now unfortunately, this thread was bumped from mid-December and a perfect example of why we do not recommend doing so. The person who bumped the thread with a question or statement is often ignored and the original post is addressed even though the OP has moved on.
Forum Avatar
Support Forum Agent
#29 - Feb. 17, 2011, 4:52 a.m.
Blizzard Post
02/16/2011 8:50 PMPosted by Kaidiel
Someone who reposts a moderated post and most likely knows better is probably not the best judge of intelligence either.

:)