Dear Bliz:Epileptics Vs Elementals

#1 - Feb. 15, 2011, 1:53 a.m.
Blizzard Post
I have sent this letter into Blizzard, however, I would like to gauge the overall community's opinion of this issue regarding the elementals in Cataclysm. Personally, I find their death animation to be pretty cool the first 2-3 times I see it, however, after a while it really starts to get to me.

Normally, Blizzard has either intentionally or very coincidentally stayed away from the Pikachu-esque screen flashing until Cataclysm, and I believe it may have just been an oversight.

Please weigh in, because I am curious to see if it is just us, or if this is a wider issue.

=====================================================
Letter Trimmed from its original
=====================================================

Dear Blizzard,

With your special Cataclysm pricing in November, and the release of 4.0.3, I had finally decided to give WoW another chance. I am pleased to say that every one of my major complaints were specifically addressed in 4.0.3, and I am once again in love with your game. That said, I do have a minor complaint that has a major impact on gameplay for both myself and my fiance- and I'm sure we're not alone.

My fiance has what is called Partial Temporal Lobe Epilepsy. Many games trigger her seizures, but WoW was always one that did not. (Yet another reason for our return.) That is still the case, with one exception. Within Cataclym there are a breed of Elementals that die with a very flashy animation that consists of about 10 or so blasts of light in quick succession. These blasts are so bright, that even playing WoW in a well lit room the explosions can be seen with eyes shut. Even as someone without epilepsy, these enemies are distracting to say the least.

The larger elementals in dungeons force my fiance to actually minimize WoW to prevent it triggering a seizure. It wouldn't be such a big deal if she were able to put me on follow for these kills, but many times they require looting for a quest, but in addition they have a stun effect that breaks follow.

Your game is relatively epileptic friendly, as your spell effects rarely cause the entire screen to flicker. However, this animation stands out as the unavoidable exception. (They're everywhere.) So all that I ask is that you look into a possible remedy for this one animation from this enemy type.

Sincerely,
Lynith
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#10 - Feb. 15, 2011, 7:30 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Thanks for the post. We've actually seen a number of forum posts, and received a few letters on the elemental death effects. We have a task set to remove the flashes from the death effect, although as the work hasn't begun I couldn't accurately state when the change might make it in.

In any case, we agree and we're going to be changing them.