Logic Behind Phasing?

#1 - Dec. 17, 2010, 7:25 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Can someone explain exactly how phasing works?

I know that when you are going through a "special" quest (say a dream sequence) that wouldnt make sense for other players to see or interact with, that they give you a separate instance of that content. Fine.

But are there multiple phases of generic places? For instance, are there multiple phases of Orgrimmar, that they might implement to keep the population down? If so, is it possible that you wont be able to connect with someone else in the same zone?

Is phasing implemented by level? I know I can fly over the old world content, but I never see any low level characters. Is this because they are in a different phase? (Does this solve the problem of ganking lowbies) Or is the world just dead?

I would like to understand how phasing works. If you are out of phase with someone, can you get back in phase by meeting at a common place (city) and then travelling back to your quest zone?

Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#12 - Dec. 17, 2010, 9:30 p.m.
Blizzard Post
But are there multiple phases of generic places? For instance, are there multiple phases of Orgrimmar, that they might implement to keep the population down?

Phasing in World of Warcraft, be it normal phasing or terrain phasing, plays a heavy role in questing right now. Accepting quests, completing quest objectives, turning in a quests: these actions can all move your character from one phase to another for the purpose progressing a specific story.

For clarity, terrain phasing is very similar to normal phasing (which hides or reveals sets of creatures, intractable items, NPCs, and buildings); however, instead of just allowing us to adjust objects in the world, terrain phasing actually gives us the ability to change the world itself -- or, more specifically, how it appears to you. Despite these capabilities, we don't currently use phasing to moderate population levels or arbitrarily isolate characters within a certain level range from the rest of the community *. It's simply a means for us to provide our players with more dynamic and engaging content.

12/17/2010 11:25 AMPosted by EllediabloIf you are out of phase with someone, can you get back in phase by meeting at a common place (city) and then travelling back to your quest zone?

If two characters are in different phases, it's usually a sign that those characters are on different steps of a quest chain. To get back in the same phase, the characters would simply need to make sure that they've completed the same quests in a given zone.

There are some situations where a player can get "stuck" in the wrong phase, though. Re-logging can sometimes help with this, and, if necessary, our customer support staff is always happy to help.

*Goblin, worgen, and death knight starting areas could be considered an exception, given that Kezan, Lost Isles, Gilneas, and Acherus are all separated from the world-at-large via phasing. This is due to the nature of those starting experiences, though, and not out of a desire to restrict player interaction.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#16 - Dec. 17, 2010, 9:58 p.m.
Blizzard Post
12/17/2010 1:44 PMPosted by IronstoutNot nit picking but isn't it spelled Acherus?

Nitpicker! *points shrewdly in your direction*

Nevertheless, I do appreciate it. :)
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#25 - Dec. 17, 2010, 11:45 p.m.
Blizzard Post
12/17/2010 2:12 PMPosted by Twenty
Are there any plans to "clean up" the phasing transitions? As of now all of this phasing is really, really inconvenient for players who are on follow, or multiboxing.

We're always looking for ways to improve the gaming experience, be it by developing new technology or streamlining existing systems (i.e. phasing). We've made some great improvements since Wrath of the Lich King with respect to phasing, and I imagine we will continue to make improvements as we move forward with new content. While there's nothing specific on the table right now, we're never really satisfied with the status quo, and further amendments to the system are always a possibility.