First time ever, leveling requires gold sink

#0 - Oct. 9, 2008, 2:46 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I read on WoW Insider that to get to the level 78-80 zones/quests in Northrend you have to have cold weather flying/flying mount.

This is a game first.

You could level from 1 to 70 with out ever buying any mount what so ever (granted, it would be a lot of running, but it could be done.)

So if the only way I can get to level 78-80 quests is through flight, then a change in mindset has been made.

So the character I've posted this on will have to buy the following just to do the level 78-80 quests.
1. Level 40 riding skill (I know, I'm a pally, it was a few silver)
2. Level 60 riding skill
3. Level 70 riding skill
4. Level 70 flying mount
5. Level 77 cold weather flying

I ask that Blizzard bring back the quest chain to get Cold Weather Flying, at level 77 doing a quest makes sense, it gives experience and a reward everyone wants (much like the Ring of Blood quest line).

Requiring a money sink could leave people stuck having to level off green quests, or farming kill XP. This does not match the design behind the rest of the game.

I'm not in the Beta so I can't post this to the beta forums. If someone could please copy this message into the beta forums that would be wonderful.

PS. If I'm wrong and you can reach all the leveling quests (70-80) without a flying mount, then I have no point and retract my statement.
#63 - Oct. 10, 2008, 12:45 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
I read on WoW Insider that to get to the level 78-80 zones/quests in Northrend you have to have cold weather flying/flying mount.

This is a game first.

You could level from 1 to 70 with out ever buying any mount what so ever (granted, it would be a lot of running, but it could be done.)

So if the only way I can get to level 78-80 quests is through flight, then a change in mindset has been made.

So the character I've posted this on will have to buy the following just to do the level 78-80 quests.
1. Level 40 riding skill (I know, I'm a pally, it was a few silver)
2. Level 60 riding skill
3. Level 70 riding skill
4. Level 70 flying mount
5. Level 77 cold weather flying

I ask that Blizzard bring back the quest chain to get Cold Weather Flying, at level 77 doing a quest makes sense, it gives experience and a reward everyone wants (much like the Ring of Blood quest line).

Requiring a money sink could leave people stuck having to level off green quests, or farming kill XP. This does not match the design behind the rest of the game.

I'm not in the Beta so I can't post this to the beta forums. If someone could please copy this message into the beta forums that would be wonderful.

PS. If I'm wrong and you can reach all the leveling quests (70-80) without a flying mount, then I have no point and retract my statement.

This is not true. You are not required to have Cold Weather Flying to complete leveling in the 77-80 zones. If you do not have Cold Weather Flying, you will get a "loaner mount" that will permit you to complete leveling in the zones.
#68 - Oct. 10, 2008, 12:50 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
I wouldn't mind having to do the quest chain. I heard it was pretty fun tbh.

The quest still exists. The reward is no longer CWF.