So Vengeance... am I doing this wrong?

#0 - Nov. 10, 2010, 7:01 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Vengeance currently lets tanks get 10% of their total health as attack power. This is to boost tank damage in PvE. It seems to stack per hit and last 20sec, but taking twice your health in damage will max it out, and that can easily happen in PvP.

Comparing Unholy and Blood using Deathcoil. For easy math let's say the DK has 10k AP and 50k Health.

Deathcoil does around .3AP damage, so the unholy DK will crit for about 6k.

The blood dk will get an extra 5k attack power with max vengeance, putting him at 15000 ap, and his death coil will crit for 9k..

Even with unholy talents buffing the damage of Deathcoil, it won't deal 50% more damage, and that's just for 1 attack.

Am I missing something? Because that just makes a tank seem undauntingly powerful. And higher health pools in Cata only increase vengeance ap gained.
#4 - Nov. 11, 2010, 12:12 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

In group PvP, there is an answer to vengeance. Don't attack the tank. Vengeance is a really good idea imo. If you are sitting on a tank and stacking that buff up, why shouldn't they do comparable damage? And from my experience, even with a max stacked vengeance, the coils between blood and unholy are relatively the same. Also, there is more to DPS between the two specs than Deathcoil. Even if someone is sitting on my blood DK I can assuredly say Unholy and Frost do more overall DPS, in pvp.

If a couple of people are beating on a tank, Vengeance isn't likely to stack very high. You need to take damage that is a big chunk of your whole health pool, which typically only bosses are available to provide.

Now if you have several folks beating on a tank flag carrier, then Vengeance may stack up, but once you have several people, you almost certainly have a way to dispel the Vengeance or just CC the tank.

If Vengeance ever gets to be a problem in PvP, we'll just remove it, plain and simple. The mechanic is only there to help with raid gear scaling, not to give tanks a fun toy for PvP.
#11 - Nov. 11, 2010, 1:43 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Thank you. Please do not let Prot specs get out of control again.

We're hoping that Rated BGs give Prot specs a useful role similar to tanking in defending towers, carrying flags, etc. A tank in an Arena needs to have a lot of control and damage just like everyone else to be competitive, which coupled with their inherent survivability and resistance to being controlled got us into trouble.