Balancing Classes

#1 - Oct. 30, 2008, 8:37 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Pure classes should be able to out dps hybrid classes by a small margin. However, hybrid classes should be able to be a lot closer than they were in BC, and depending on the skill, gear and encounter involved, will sometimes beat the pure dps classes.

For purposes of this discussion, pure = mage, warlock, hunter, rogue. These are the classes that cannot spec into healing or tanking roles.

I don't want to get too far down into what that margin should be, because then players return with a WWS parse saying "See, the mage beat me. You said we would be competitive."

#2 - Oct. 30, 2008, 8:40 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Pure classes should be able to out dps hybrid classes by a small margin. However, hybrid classes should be able to be a lot closer than they were in BC, and depending on the skill, gear and encounter involved, will sometimes beat the pure dps classes.

For purposes of this discussion, pure = mage, warlock, hunter, rogue. These are the classes that cannot spec into healing or tanking roles.

I don't want to get too far down into what that margin should be, because then players return with a WWS parse saying "See, the mage beat me. You said we would be competitive."

So a Ret Paladin and Subtlety Rogue would do about the same DPS, even though the Ret Paladin brings way more group utility and buffs?
#180 - Oct. 31, 2008, 6:43 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
If pure classes only out dps hybrids by a small hardly noticable margin what is the point of playing the pure class?

Because your dps goes down without the pure classes.

I'm not saying the difference is only 1%, but even if it was, just look at how many players get freaked out about something that could increase or decrease their sustained dps by 1%.

If your group doesn't notice a difference when it runs with all hybrids, then chances are you have e.g. awesome shamans and really cruddy mages. That's cool. If you can still kill the boss, you're golden.