I kind of wish tanking wasn't so easy now

#0 - Oct. 31, 2008, 5:55 a.m.
Blizzard Post
For two reasons. First, tanks we're generally less common, which meant it was pretty easy to find a group for instances as long as I was willing to tank. Easier tanking means more people will start to fill the role, which means more competition for groups.

Second, and you can attack me for this one, the tank generally leads the group by marking and setting the pace of the pulls. It really helps when the tank is moderately intelligent and knows what the hell he is doing, otherwise the whole group has problems downing mobs. When I join a group as dps, I generally sit back and let the tank run the show. But if a lot of scrubs move into tanking, well its going to be a #!%@ show.

The fact is, a good tank used to make or break a group, closely followed by a good healer. I think that tanks are going to lose that status and get lumped in with the dps. I guess this is basically a QQ post that I no longer feel special :(

At least it means more chances to dps, that should be fun.

THoughts?
#9 - Oct. 31, 2008, 7:14 a.m.
Blizzard Post
I do agree that everything is easier right now at 70. But keep in mind these 3 things coming up at 80:

-- Bosses have more armor. That is going to affect the threat generation, particularly of warriors and bears.
-- A lot of groups are AE tanking and burning down groups. It's fun, but at higher levels the risk you're going to take is that those groups kill you.
-- Threat is easy to manage now, and not too bad in Naxx. Naxx was designed to be more of an introduction to raiding. It won't stay that easy. I wouldn't expect a lot of Void Walker-style competitions to stay on top of threat meters compared to other tanks, but you might have to worry about the dps'rs catching up to you at some point.