Please make the Prot 11-pt talent for Prot.

#0 - Nov. 1, 2008, 4:44 a.m.
Blizzard Post
I'm referring to this:

Q u o t e:

We are also sympathetic to the notion that if Ret can't do insane burst damage, that the spec might need other tools to be viable in PvP. We're exploring this now, possibly though the missing 11-point Prot talent, possibly through other avenues. We'll let you know when we've made a decision here.

Obviously, this is a post referring to the recent PvP-oriented nerf of Retribution by hotfixing Avenging Wrath back onto Forbearance. I'm not going into the implications of that right now.

My concern is that the 11-point talent be a PROT talent that has use for ret. Please don't stick a Retribution-oriented talent at 11 points in the Protection tree just because there is room there. We have enough issues that we need addressed as it is without the PvP nerfs of another tree coming back to bite us in this matter.

So please, I ask that you not make the entire Paladin tree a subsidiary to the considerations of what Ret needs for balance in PvP and PvE. Please make the 11-point talent something that Prot can use and is addressing Prot issues. Yes, there are a few things which would be of incredible benefit to both specs - like an interrupt, but these things are abilities that Blizzard has seemed to staunchly resist giving Paladins in the past.

Whatever you do ultimately decide, please don't make a PvP gimmick talent that has little use for tanks.

Original quote here (note that it's a PvP Ret thread):

https://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=12065281480&sid=2000
#41 - Nov. 2, 2008, 2:12 a.m.
Blizzard Post
We're not sure if we're going to do this or not. If we do it (make an 11-point Prot talent that is attractive to Ret) it would be for these reasons:

-- It would be cooler if the talent was something fun for Prot and not something they "need" to tank.
-- In our experience, Ret paladins who PvP often go down into Prot anyway to get Imp Hammer of Justice.
-- I suggested we might offer Ret more PvP utility since we are stripping some of the burst damage, so PvE Retadins might not want this ability anyway.
-- We wouldn't want this talent to be something Prot would never get and Ret would always get. If anything we need to err on the side of something Prot definitely wants.