WOTLK CD Key.

#0 - Nov. 6, 2008, 1:49 a.m.
Blizzard Post
I am not quite sure if this id the right place for this question but here it goes... My cd drive is currently on the fritz. I was wondering if when the expansion comes out will I be able to buy the game from the store, upgrade my account with the CD key in the box and then play the game. Essentially my question is are all the Wrath assets already on my disk after the latest patch (plus any future patches coinciding with release). yes I know I need to buy a new cd drive. I would rather not if I can avoid it... Really I just don't feel like opening my case in the next week if possible... i'm lazy.

Thanks for any relevant multiple word posts. :P

#1 - Nov. 6, 2008, 1:51 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Hi Geur,

Wrath will eventually be available for download online, but this might take some time to establish. A working DVD drive will be the only way to ensure you are ready to play on launch day. Otherwise, when we initiated the online download for Burning Crusade it took 2-3 weeks to get up and running. I'm not saying Wrath will take this long (I have no idea, it may) but don't expect it Day 1.
#38 - Nov. 6, 2008, 6:36 p.m.
Blizzard Post
There have been no announcements made regarding the digital download release of Wrath of the Lich King (including my own). My statement simply declared there should be no expectation for it to be available on launch day. No expectation =/= "Unavailable"

My statement was made so that in order to ensure the installation of the game on launch day it is best to have a physical copy of the game in your hands. Nothing more. =)

For all information regarding the release of any of our products I would urge you to wait for announcements made by our PR or Marketing departments.
#40 - Nov. 6, 2008, 7:25 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Upgrading from standard Wrath to a Collector's edition at a later point should be available yes, just like it currently is for Burning Crusade. Please keep in mind in such a situation you are not given the standard authentication key again for use, it is forfeited and overwritten during the 2nd upgrade process.
#58 - Nov. 14, 2008, 4:58 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

By "forfeited" do you mean I am not able to give or sell the regular edition's CD key to somebody else?

Correct, this process is the same as it was with Burning Crusade. Nothing has changed.