Will Cata honestly be playable at launch?

#0 - Nov. 3, 2010, 5:35 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Never played during the launch of any MMO or expansion--I have always shown up weeks late. From what I hear though, launching a MMO or expansion = instant death.

Is there honestly ANY chance of playing the game come Dec. 7?
#30 - Nov. 3, 2010, 8:27 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Never played during the launch of any MMO or expansion--I have always shown up weeks late. From what I hear though, launching a MMO or expansion = instant death.

Is there honestly ANY chance of playing the game come Dec. 7?

As a bunch of people are mentioning, things have gone pretty well in the last couple of expansions. We have learned a lot since we launched the game 6 years ago. There have been some latency issues in the past, but that is often tied to how many people are in your direct vicinity and it improves as players progress and spread out. We have improved spawning timing and such so even if a lot of players are doing the same quests they can be done in a reasonable amount of time.

Things can always go wrong, but it should be playable.

Oh, and if you are on a PvP server, be ready to fight for those quests.
#76 - Nov. 4, 2010, 5:33 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Oh, and if you are on a PvP server, be ready to fight for those quests.

As if I wasn't already excited for the new fun. ;)
#78 - Nov. 4, 2010, 6:01 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

So was I, but having to wait until 3 AM just saps the excitement right out of it for me. Like I said in another thread, you bet I'd play until like 6 AM that morning playing, trying to get ahead of everyone else so I could be a little farther in the zone than the people picking it up the next day. However, now to just start at 3, I don't know if it's worth it to log in and get a little done. It kills the momentum of such an epic release because for the next two years, I'm not going to have this fond memory of jumping out the gate to try to get ahead of the masses.

I'll quote what I said in the other thread:

PS. Sorry to be a downer.

Don't rain on my parade!

I'm sure those that like getting the jump on things are disappointed, but overall, it should give a better/more equal start for those that felt they couldn't ever get a chance to try to keep up with the early folks. (Sorry for the silver lining there. ;) )
#125 - Nov. 4, 2010, 10:32 p.m.
Blizzard Post
We would nerf the sun or create a Blizzard time zone in which everyone would live in (in perfect harmony), but unfortunately, we have not amassed enough power for that as of yet.