Ret AoE - Divine Storm?

#0 - Oct. 30, 2010, 8:12 p.m.
Blizzard Post
How many Ret's miss Divine Storm? I know I do. It was one of the signature spells we had and actually had a cool animation. Now fast forward to patch 4.01 and it's all but missing in a lot of Ret Paladins Specs and on their bars.

The reason being? Well, by the time you generate 3 holy power with Trash currently - everything is nearly dead so you might get to push that button once. That's it. The ramp up time for our AoE is a little bit too extreme in my opinion.

My suggestion: Change Divine storm from being a holy power dump to one that Generates holy power. Nerf the healing on Divine Storm if necessary. Make sure CS > DS single target. That way single target Crusader Strike is our HoPo generator, while DS is when there's 3+ adds.

I realize this makes Ret play more like Prot - but a lot of us miss Divine Storm? Please bring it back into our specs and onto our bars :(
#11 - Oct. 31, 2010, 1:01 a.m.
Blizzard Post
We've been toying with a change to Divine Storm to make it more like Fan of Knives. Specifically, you could use it whenever you want, for mana, but it would share a cooldown with Crusader Strike. It would have nothing to do with Holy Power (unless Divine Purpose still applied). The idea would be that sometimes you're okay giving up the single target rotation of Crusader Strike -> Templar's Verdict in return for being able to use an AE attack every 4.5 to 3 sec. It's too early yet to know if this design will work out.

Divine Storm has a great visual and many long-time Ret paladins have a soft spot for it, so we'd like to get it back to more common use.