Does the ban-counter ever decay?

#0 - Feb. 26, 2010, 1:11 a.m.
Blizzard Post
I've been banned a certain number of times now >_>

My understanding of the system is that, unless it's a grievous offense, the bans extend in duration (3 hours --> 3 days --> lifetime).

I'm wondering if the counter ever resets (after, say, 4 years), or if one simply has to tread lightly for the entire extent of their WoW career after getting a couple of bans.
#5 - Feb. 26, 2010, 1:22 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
I've been banned a certain number of times now >_>

My understanding of the system is that, unless it's a grievous offense, the bans extend in duration (3 hours --> 3 days --> lifetime).

I'm wondering if the counter ever resets (after, say, 4 years), or if one simply has to tread lightly for the entire extent of their WoW career after getting a couple of bans.

There is no decay because we manually choose the ban's duration based on the incident and account history on the forums. We'd never put a system in place, as we prefer to rely on judgment. I agree with the poster above, we're pretty lenient and allow for quite a bit before we suspend someone -- you should never feel like you have to tread lightly unless moderate to you is typing profanities and insulting others.
#12 - Feb. 26, 2010, 1:32 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

I think he may have been asking about in-game bans, E. He mentions getting a ban for trade chat spamming.

BTW, nice to see you again.

Ah, okay. There is no decay in-game either.

And, "hello". :D