WoW Magazine - Healer Column

#0 - Dec. 30, 2009, 4:32 a.m.
Blizzard Post
So I was skimming through this thing in the sample that MMO Champion linked, and I have to ask.

Was I the only one who found the Healer column in there a bit pretentious?

It was talking about healing addons/UIs and the much talked about "tunneling" that generally incites "L2P" comments here in these forums.

Thing is though, in warning against tunneling into raid frames, the columnist was talking about not using things like Grid and VuhDo because they're too "flashy" and that when you condense all that information on your raid frames, you focus on it too much. Hence, these addons actually instigate tunneling.

So what exactly do you suggest we do, dear columnist? Use the default Raid Frames? Maybe if they actually had even a remotely convenient way of seeing stuff like Curse of Torpor, Saurfang Mark, Bone Spike and Boiling Blood among many other crucial but outdated boss dots, we may consider using them, you know. Maybe if your raid frames were more customizable, potentially color coded, a bit thicker for on-the-fly visibility we could consider not resorting to various addons.

There are two sides to the whole "information overload" card the section was playing. You argue condensed information causes healers to focus on one spot too much because that's where all the information is. What happens in *reality* is that condensed, easy to see information allows healers to get what they need out of their raid frames within a single glance and then focus on not dying. Where the default Raid Frames cause me to squint at them in trying to decipher the crucial information I need (fast); the condensed, controlled information overload in stuff like Grid and VuhDo (or HealBot) allow me to take all that I need in asap and get back to work. What you claim causes tunneling, is exactly what many seasoned healers use for aiding them in avoiding tunneling.

At the end of the day, I wonder how can two sides of such a crucial thing as Raid Frames for Healers aren't presented and instead the article turns into a propoganda work for default UI. And I wonder, why Blizzard still hasn't included some of these absolutely vital changes to their default Raid Frames when hundreds and thousands of Healers have repeatedly pointed at its flaws over the years...

Anyhow, I felt the need for this counter argument to the column be brought up in here because the UI is such a crucial part of a healer's job in this game. Couldn't let it slide without the opposing view presented.

/end rant
#45 - Dec. 30, 2009, 6:58 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Our intent isn't to discourage the use of add-ons. Our intent is to allow players who don't want to use add-ons to be able to get by without. The advances we made to the default UI with things like Equipment Manager and the new Quest Map are with that direction in mind. Some players just like add-ons or are very particular about specific functionality. That's cool. They can continue to use what they enjoy.

I've healed a lot with and without Grid and similar mods. The default raid UI is adequate for healing, but only adequate. This is definitely a chunk of the UI that we'd next like to improve. Being able to show both buffs and debuffs at the same time feels like a necessity. Some healers will continue to want to use additional mods and that's their prerogative.
#133 - Jan. 5, 2010, 4:35 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Just to bring a little perspective to the actual column and writer's style, keep in mind that these columns only exhibit one viewpoint from one player. As I've said many times, someone else's style of play may not be what you feel is best. Take what you will from it whether you agree or disagree.

I'm also with Ghostcrawler in that I've healed both with and without add-ons and have been a very capable healer both ways. However, there is always potential room for improvement both as a player and for the game itself.