Arms tanking in Cataclysm

#0 - Dec. 30, 2009, 7:37 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Just read a post in the dps forums where GC said ideally arms should be able to pick up a shield, go defensive stance and tank heroics (but not raids). Also due to the fact def cap is gone and presumably everyones stam is so much higher.

My take on this is good, less of a heroic farming tank shortage. Give all melee classes (kitty in bear form, ret with RF and a shield, enhance with stoneclaw) the chance to see what tanking is like.

it does leaves me wondering where does this leave mainspec/geared tanks. Could we outhreat our dps bretheren? Would overgeared healers enjoy following us more slowly throughout dungeons while not healing (less damage, but better avoidance and mitigation makes jack the healer a dull boy)? Would all tanks eventually become a pure raid spec, only to be dusted off when it's raid time? Will we be forced into dps gear to tank with?

I am not saying the sky is falling, or even pondering/implying it. Just posing a few questions that I thought of and would like to discuss with other tanks.
#16 - Dec. 31, 2009, 6:29 p.m.
Blizzard Post
We expect Prot to still be the talent tree of choice for raiding and the more challenging heroic dungeons since the talents will still probably make them a safer tank overall.

However, making it easier for an Arms or Fury warrior (or Ret paladin, cat druid or dps-focused DK) to step in and tank accomplishes two good things:

1) It makes it easier to get tanks for Dungeon Finder since some dps specs may be willing to slap on the shield (or change forms, etc.) for a faster queue. Based on the current use we are expecting players to use Dungeon Finder a lot in Cataclysm, even in the level up experience.

2) It allows the tanking classes to more fully embrace the fact that they are designed as a hybrid class and they have options available if they are willing to step in and do the tanking.

We're sensitive to Prot warriors not wanting to lose their jobs to non-tanks, but we don't really think that will happen. Right now the main thing keeping Arms warriors from tanking 5-player dungeons is having to get a complete second set of gear where they have to be crit immune. Getting a shield by itself shouldn't be nearly as big of a burden.