Reason behind the disparity?

#0 - Dec. 18, 2008, 4:11 p.m.
Blizzard Post
This post isn't to complain, merely to inform myself. Why is there such a huge disparity between the tanking classes with regards to items in the Ranged/Idol/Libram/Sigil slot? (Shamans are excluded for now as this is the tanking forum).

I'm at work so I'm just putting up the first thing I find but :

Warriors get:

Armor Plated Shotgun
42 Stam
Blue Socket
21 Defense
18 hit.

Paladin get:

Libram of Obstuction
Equip: Your Judgement ability also increases your SBV by 352 for 5 secs.

Death Knight get:

Sigil of Haunted Dreams.
Blood strike and Heart Strike have a chance to inscrase haste by 173 ( Its the only 200 lvl item)

Druids get:

Idol of Ravenous Beast.
Increases the damage dealt by shred by 203. (only feral 200 lvl item)
The best feral tanking idol has and Item lvl of 128.

So from what I can see, pally, dk and druids get the shaft on stats. Altho the pally idol seems to be very strong, but then again I dont know about SBV. But the DK and Druid stuff is laughable.

So again, not complaining, but I'd just like to know what the philosophy behind this is.

Many thanks.

#33 - Dec. 18, 2008, 5:07 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Paladins, druids and death knights are designed around the fact that they don't have the stat allocation on a gun (or a shield in some cases) available.

We typically design Idols et al. without say Strength or Stam on them because we don't want them to just be guns with different art that you can't shoot.

If in the overall picture a class or spec is gimped compared to others who fill their same role, then that is a problem. But you can't just lift any single piece out of the whole package and scrutinize it. In those cases we almost certainly have implemented a difference on purpose. It is one of the things you have to do to justify having multiple classes.